Sign me up!!

Monday, June 27, 2011
I am a BARN ENTHUSIAST -- I LOVE barns of all sorts -- old barns, red barns round barns, tall barns, short barns -- okay, you're getting the idea here...some other things I also love are quilts, anything Americana and old advertising signs. Sometimes these things go together -- I'm talking about barns that are painted with a quilt design, a flag or other Americana motif or my very favorite, an old advertising sign!! I remember a few years ago when my family was vacationing in Ohio -- we were driving along an old country road on our way to the Amish country around Kidron, OH, and we rounded a bend to see a glorious site -- a Mail Pouch Barn! I squeeled with excitment!!


When we lived in Minnesota, there was both a barn with a large painted flag


and a quilt barn that I got to pass on a regular basis -- actually I'd drive out of my way to get to see either site.


Sometimes these signs are on other out buildings besides the barn...but my favorites will always be the barns.

A couple of months ago a friend gave me a special gift -- it was custom made just for me and Faithfulness Farm -- I was very taken back by both the thoughtfulness of the gift and how well my Faithfulness Farm was captured. Thank you David! I get to gaze on this site as I enjoy my morning coffee on the back porch!



Credit:
All the photos in the post, with the exception of the Faithfulness Farm sign, were borrowed from here.

16 comments:

  1. dogsmom said...:

    All wonderful barns but your very own Barn Banner! The best gift of all.

  1. Great barns Gail! I love the flag:@)

  1. Olive Cooper said...:

    I totally agree with you about barns being totally American and iconic. They are vanishing from the southern landscape it seems. I need to go out and take more pictures of them!

  1. Pam said...:

    I get all excited about barns too. I have never seen a quilt barn, but it's on my list to find this summer.

  1. Oh how I would love to see those barns in real life. Lucky to see them in MN. But, I must say, I love your special one the best! What a wonderful gift and what a dear friend.

  1. Mecky said...:

    How sweet about the your sign!!

    I love barns, too. It is sad to see so many of them wasting away. There is a farm a few miles away from me that has a barn that is collasping. The house is now starting to look horrible, too. Oh how I wish that I could offer to buy it all from them and restore the barn, home and out buildings. Maybe someday I can. Oh yes, that would only be a dream because Pa isn't very handy and would not be happy with me!

  1. Kathleen said...:

    What a great gift! I love barns too! We have a lot of potato barns here, as LI used to be a top grower of potatoes. Some of them are built into a hill for insulation.

  1. Gail, there is a Barn Quilt blog that I follow, and it sounds like you would enjoy it too.
    http://americanquilttrail.blogspot.com/

  1. I'm totally a big barn and quilt fan also! In fact i've been eyeing an old run down barn in hopes that the owners will let me borrow a few boards so my husband can make a farmhouse table out of them :)

  1. Shug said...:

    What is it about old barns that make us love them...I too, get so excited about barns of any kind...
    Loved seeing these. What a very special gift...and what a special friend..
    Hugs,
    shug

  1. Debbie said...:

    From one huge barn lover to another, I think your photo tour was great.

    And I love your own special sign.
    I'd love to live in a little country place with an old, worn, barn on the property. I keep telling God all about it...

  1. Beth said...:

    Great barn art, Gail! We see many of the barn quilt squares here. I like the silo too, and your special sign!
    Blessings, Beth

  1. Great barn photos. My hubbie and I are selling our big farm to find a little farm . We dream of living in an old barn and refurbishing it. Maybe even sharing it with the animals as long as there is a sound proof/smell proof wall between us !

  1. What a wonderful gift! Loved the beautiful "building" art you shared too :)
    Blessings,
    Marcia

  1. Ruby Jean said...:

    Oh..How I would LOVE to have an OLD Barn.. : ) there is just something so Old American about them.. I am so happy to have found you again and am excited to be following along...I was formerly Blogging at Pioneer Beauty..and have recently started my knew Business Blog... Ruby Jean's be sure to stop by and say Hello...

    Looking forward to getting caught up with you...
    Blessings to you this day
    In Christ
    Angelina

  1. Deb said...:

    I was going to leave you the link for American Quilt Trail, but I see someone already did. They have some beautiful photos of quilts on barns on that blog. I'm saving up to buy a smaller barn quilt for my garden shed...they're rather expensive but I think so pretty. So...maybe one day I'll have one.

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.