Pea Soup Anyone?

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I remember the VERY first time I ate Pea Soup -- I was a young adult and I was visiting Solvang with a friend. That first bowl of Pea Soup was at the Famous Pea Soup Andersen's and I was in love. I know, not a very glamorous love, but I knew I needed to learn to make Pea Soup. And I did. It always was met with mixed reviews at my house but I always loved it and so did my oldest 2 children.

All these years later, I get a call from my daughter on Saturday. She has been craving chili in her pregnancy and I helped her out with big pot a couple weeks ago. She now states she is craving Pea Soup -- Will I make a pot? WILL I!! Come on down! It was a perfect day for soup making -- cool and drizzly all day long. The soup simmered while I got the house into a Fallen state. The smells were intoxicating and when it was all done, daughter was in Pea Soup heaven! Sometimes the simpliest things ARE the best!


Split Pea Soup
(Printable Version)

2 quarts chicken stock
2 cups of Green Split Peas
2 stocks celery, coarsely chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 tsp ground thyme
1 pinch of cayenne
1 bay leaf
Salt & pepper to taste
If you desire a heartier soup, you can add a ham hock or some chopped ham steak.

Place all ingredients in soup kettle and boil hard for 20 minutes, then slowly until peas are tender, about 2-3 hours. Strain through fine sieve and reheat to boiling point. Serve. Makes 6 servings.

18 comments:

  1. B-Z-Quilting said...:

    I love pea soup! I only made it once and it was just so-so, but yours sounds wonderful. Thanks for another great recipe! It may just be a pea soup weekend at my house.

  1. I love pea soup Gail and make it often! Split peas are always in the cabinet-enjoy:@)

  1. Olive Cooper said...:

    I love it too and and made some a week ago with BLT sandwiches. You are such a good Mama.

  1. Anita said...:

    I do not think I have ever eaten pea soup, but I do love peas so it looks great!! I cannot wait to see your rooster plates! There are no stores like that close enough to just run by, so I had to search online. We are loving these, though! Thanks for stopping by!!

  1. I LOVE pea soup and I'm lucky my husband does too. Hmmm, now I'm craving pea soup too :)

  1. I love split pea soup and just printed the recipe. I'll be trying this recipe as soon as the weather turns cooler. It's 81 here today so still a bit warm for soup.

  1. Shug said...:

    I have never had pea soup...can you believe that....Sounds good!

    Blessings
    Shug

  1. What memories this brings to me. I have made this soup to warm up company on cold windy days and the most favorite times was to enjoy with a movie that I would watch with my daughter. Thanks for sharing. blessings,Kathleen

  1. Marigene said...:

    Pea soup is one of my favorites, especially when made with yellow peas.

  1. Dani said...:

    We loved going to Pea Soup Andersons too...don't know if they still make it or not...our local one closed some time ago....we've been making it regularly now as when our DIL was expecting, it was something she craved too...

  1. soraya3 ღ said...:

    we called it in holland erwten soup in dutch it means pea soup..my husband is dutch does these kind of soup thanks for sharing.. i love your blog! loves from holland

  1. LOL! Gail, I think Hyacinth's china looks a lot like mine! That show is hilarious!
    YUMMY!! I love pea soup too! I like to crumble a piece of bacon on top of mine.

  1. Ruby Jean said...:

    Oh...Split Pea Soups is one of my VERY favorite soups...We used to eat at Pea Soup Andersen's...It was so nice to live close by to be able to stop there and eat whenever we got a Pea Soup craving...I haven't been there in years...But seeing the picture makes me want to go there... I am wondering if it is still the same... I guess I will have to go and find out... : )
    I myself have never made Split Pea Soup so I will be printing this recipe out and giving it a try...I love adding new soups to my collection every Fall and Winter Season....

  1. xinex said...:

    Your pea soup looks so delicious. I have 2 pregnant daughters and I hope they don't ask for pea soup cause I don't know how to cook it. But then again, I have the recipe here. Thanks....Christine

  1. Kathleen said...:

    What a good mom you are, and it looks delicious too!
    You will have to teach her husband to make it for her so when she has a craving he can make it for her!
    I like to make it when I have a ham hock to use.

  1. I love split pea soup, but when I make it I'm about the only one that eats it! Oh well, more for me!

  1. Debbie said...:

    Ok, you make it look yummy enough for me to try it as an adult. When we were kids, my father loved it. Mother always made a pot of corn chowder when she made the split pea soup. We had to TRY the pea soup before we could get the corn chowder.

    I tried.
    I tried and tried.
    But I never liked it as much as corn chowder.

  1. I love pea soup! My mother made it all the time for us growing up and I'm happy to say I make it as well! Hope your daughter enjoyed her bowl! Enjoy your day!

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.