Cinnamon Roll Muffins

Monday, November 12, 2012
So my last muffins turned out so well I was eager to expand my low-carb baking horizons. I purchased some coconut flour and lined up another recipe to adapt and give my personal spin to.


I heeded the warnings that coconut flour is dry and needs lots of moisture and was so hopeful that my creation was going to be all I was looking for in a cinnamon roll muffin. Then I brought them out of the oven and was sorely disappointed. They didn't *look* how I imagined they would -- they were kind of flat and dense-looking and I was really ready to call them a failure. Not being one to waste, I figured I'd go ahead and glaze them and then pop them into the freezer to use as coffee snacks over the next week. Once they were glazed I brewed a cup of Pumpkin Spice coffee and tried one. I was more than pleasantly surprised -- they aren't much to look at BUT boy do they capture that cinnamon roll taste and even the texture very nicely.
Not only a keeper, but I may have a problem making sure I only eat 1 with my coffee! Lesson here - don't judge your muffins by their appearance only :)

Cinnamon Roll Muffins

1/2 cup golden flax seed meal
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup granulated sweetener (I used Swerve)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
3 eggs
1/4-1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 Tbsp butter, melted 
1 tsp vanilla

Topping:
1/4 cup granulated sweetener
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp cinnamon

Finely chopped nuts, optional (I used 2 Tbsp chopped pecans)

Glaze:
1 Tbsp butter, softened
1 Tbsp cream cheese, softened
Liquid Sweetener Drops (I used Stevia to go)
1 Tbsp heavy whipping cream


In a medium bowl, mix the flax meal, coconut flour, sweetener, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate small bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the almond milk, starting with the smaller amount, melted butter and vanilla. Add more almond milk to thin the batter if necessary, as the dryness of coconut flour can vary. The mixture should be thick, but scoopable, not pourable.

In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients: granulated sweetener, melted butter and cinnamon.

Prepare muffin tin by either greasing or lining with papers. Scoop the batter into the tin. Pour about 1/2 a teaspoon of the cinnamon topping over each muffin. Use a spoon to make X shaped "cuts" into the batter to allow the topping to settle inside. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Bake the muffins in a 325°F oven until the tops are lightly browned and the middles are set, about 35-40 minutes. Remove and cool while preparing the glaze.

Cream together softened cream cheese and  butter. Add cream to loosen. Sweeten to taste - I used 1/4 tsp liquid stevia to go.

Drizzle the glaze over the muffins. Makes 8  muffins.

Each muffin contains: 188 calories, 5.15g carbs, 3.80g fiber for a total of 1.35 net carbs. 




2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the new look here and that recipe looks pretty good too!!!

  1. Barbara said...:

    They look really good Gail, can almost smell them, hugs

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.