Blueberry Gelatin Dessert

Thursday, June 26, 2014


Here I am -- been down with some computer problems -- grrr!! It doesn't look good and I have been very resistant to do anything about my dinosaur computer because I am not wanting to give up my old version of Windows -- dumb, huh!! I guess I will be stretching my comfort zone yet again, lol. In the meantime, what have I been doing? Why cooking and eating, low-carb of course :)

Until I am fully up and going again, I will attempt to post a few recipes -- warning: the photos will not be pretty but they will help get the idea across. Thank you for baring with me!



My sweet (very handsome) husband - the best guinea pig a girl could ask for!! He was game when I said a new recipe was rolling around in my head.

I don't usually do gelatin style desserts - not sure why. Our director at work recently brought a similar dish to a pot luck - it looked yummy but had lots of hidden carbs. My wheels got to turning. My low-carb version is cool, fruity and so good!! AND the kitchen didn't get heated up! I'll be making this again a lot this summer since Mr. Dreamy especially likes it!!


Blueberry Gelatin Dessert


1 12-ounce bag frozen blueberries (no sugar added)
2 c water
1 c granulated sweetener ( I used erythritol)
Zest of 1 orange
1 tsp cinnamon
1 pkg unflavored gelatin
1 pkg (4 serving size) orange flavored sugar-free
Jello 
1 8oz brick cream cheese
1/2 c granulated sweetener
1 tsp vanilla 
1 c sour cream
1/4 c finely chopped walnuts, lightly toasted

In a medium sized saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add sweetener, zest, cinnamon and blueberries. Boil for 2-3 minutes or until sweetener has all dissolved. Bloom plain gelatin in 2 Tbsp water. Add to blueberry mixture with orange jello and whisk until all dissolved and well incorporated. Transfer to serving dish, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-2-1/2 hours or until well set. Prepare cream cheese topping by blending remaining ingredients, except walnuts, and spreading over set blueberry mixture.  Top with nuts. Makes 6 servings - each contains 183 calories, 9.43g carbs, 2.3g fiber = 7.12 net carbs per serving.