Tablescape Thursday

Thursday, August 27, 2009


I'm participing for the first time in Susan's Tablescape Thursday. I don’t claim to be a tablescaper and I am always in awe of the beautiful tablescapes each week. I’ve set many a table and buffet in my catering career but rarely take the time to set anything too special at home. That said, last weekend we hosted a young woman from church for a light lunch. I pulled out some of my stuff and went to town setting a bit of a whimsical table for lunch.



I used a table scarf and napkins that I made and embellished with buttons from my old button jar. The fabric came from my quilt stash and I don’t think I paid more than about $1 a yard for it.



The centerpiece is some pillar candles (Wal-mart) set in some little vintage bowls that I had, surrounded by more buttons from the button jar, a shabby little tiered tray (I love that this is collapsible) and an antique salt & pepper set (I have a second set of these that has red tops….the tops are Bakelite). It is all is set on a crocheted doily that I made years ago.





I used Candlewick sherbets for serving Shrimp Salad stuffed Tomatoes, and Candlewick iced teas to serve iced tea.



My everyday Gibson, white dinnerware as a charger with some pretty sage colored salad plates (bought on clearance at TJMaxx) on which I served Cucumber Sandwiches, olives & pickles. The flatware is my everyday stuff.




This was fun!!

11 comments:

  1. LillyB said...:

    Beautiful table!!!

  1. nannykim said...:

    Man, the food looks yummy!! And I love the button idea!! My favorite thing to do as a kid was to play with my mom's button box--what an amazing collection she had; so your use of buttons was magical ;-)

    (I posted my tablescape on my spindle cottage blog--but I do have other blogs...that blog is going to be mostly for house type pics)

  1. Lori E said...:

    One of my favorite memories is running my hands through my mother's button tin. She had some amazing ones that were like jewelry to me.
    Your table is very inviting.

  1. Joyce said...:

    Can't beat TJ Max for some cute plates:)
    Joyce

  1. Pauline said...:

    It's so pretty. I love the linen and those glasses are so cute :o)

  1. Christi said...:

    I love those salt and pepper shakers. Very pretty. Happy TT!

    Christi @ A Southern Life
    http://asouthernlife.com

  1. Stella said...:

    What yummy looking food and presentd so nicely. I am sure your guest was delighted. I love the red work too. Thanks for stopping by to visit me.

  1. This is really pretty -- I think that you can now claim to be a tablescaper! Welcome!

  1. Sharlotte said...:

    What a pretty table. I love your stemware...Vintage Ball, right? It's one of my favorites! Thanks for sharing.

  1. Dining Delight said...:

    Welcome to TT! It is so fun and now I can see you have the "bug"! Your 'scape looks lovely with the pretty tablecoth and napkins you made!
    DD

  1. DeniseMarie said...:

    love your post and your rooster stitchwork too. Great is His faithfulness! xox!

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.