Jammin'

Wednesday, April 17, 2013
 JAM is not something one thinks of as a low-carb food. Sure you can buy sugar-free jams (that are pretty good actually) but making them at home isn't entirely possible without TONS of sugar....at least that is what I thought.

Then a reader on Facebook set me straight! She shared this link for a recipe for Chia Seed Jam. I TOTALLY had one of those *why didn't I think of that* moments! Really, how genius is that?!! Since lately I've been on both a blueberry AND flaxseed muffin kick, I decided to make both a blueberry version and a batch of these wonderful muffins to take out of town with me for a weekend getaway. D.E.L.I.O.U.S!! Thanks Sonia!!

Planning to try both strawberry and raspberry soon -- oh, and maybe a mixed berry too!

Spiced Blueberry Chia Jam

1 10-oz package frozen No-Sugar-Added Blueberries
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 Tbsp chia seeds
Liquid Stevia or sweetener of choice
2 pint sized canning jars, sterilized

Put frozen berries in a medium-sized mixing bowl and allow to thaw. Once thawed, add juice of 1 lemon, cinnamon and nutmeg. Lightly mash the berries to desired consistancy (I wanted to still have some whole-ish berries in mine). Add stevia to taste (I used about 1 tsp in the batch) and chia seeds and mix well. Ladle into jars and place lids on and refrigerate until set up -- about 1-2 hours. Store in the refrigerator and use within 10 days. Yield 16 servings total. Each serving contains 20 calories, 3.68g carbs, 1.4g fiber = 2.28g net carbs.