Blue Ribbon Recipes ~ Country Chili Sauce

Friday, August 20, 2010


This recipe is adapted from one of my favorite cookbooks, Cooking from Quilt Country by Marcia Adams. Actually, I am a HUGE Marcia Adams fan and love all her cookbooks. I use chili sauce in many recipes that call for ketchup...especially 1000 Island Dressings and my meatloaf topping. It is more flavorful and a great substitution. This is a BLUE RIBBON recipe for sure!!


Country Chili Sauce
(Printable Version)

26 large tomatoes
2 large green bell peppers
2 large onions
1 1/2 cups of cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups of sugar
3 T of salt
1 T celery seed
1 T ground cinnamon
1 T ground cloves
1 t black pepper
1 t ground ginger
1 t ground allspice

Peel, core and chop the tomatoes, and place in a large, heavy saucepan. Wash, peel and chop the peppers, and onions and add to the tomatoes. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat, uncovered, for about 2 hours, or until mixture is as thick as you want. The amount of time will vary, depending on the amount of moisture in the tomatoes, which depends on the amount of rain the tomatoes received that particular summer. (It's this kind of unscientific stuff that drives cooks mad!) Stir frequently. Pour boiling hot, into 6 hot pint jars, leaving 1/4 -inch heading space. Process in a hot- water bath for 15 minutes, counting the time after the water comes to a full boil again.



Posting to Michael Lee's Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!

14 comments:

  1. OH yum!!! I know this is going on my canning list to make! :) Thanks for sharing!!!

  1. Vintage Girl said...:

    I am gearing up for a big chili making session. Your recipe is going to be the recipe of choice. I use chili sauce in my spaghetti sauce, stews, casseroles....it just spices things up a bit. Have a wonderful weekend! Heather

  1. This is a wonderful recipe, and we have a lot of tomatoes right now. Thanks so much! My husband makes a great Thousand Island Dressing with chili sauce, so I will whip some up!

  1. jAne said...:

    Mmmmmm. Sounds great! I've copied it and will put it on the to-do list for next week. Today I'll be canning Jalapeno Jelly and blanching/cutting/freezing corn.

    Thank you for this recipe!

  1. Thanks for sharing the canning recipe. I have a whole bunch of tomatoes coming on that I will need to get canned. This is going to be one of the uses.

  1. nannykim said...:

    Wow, that does look good--I love all the seasonings you have used!!

  1. Mimi said...:

    I'm a fan of Marcia Adams too. This looks like a great recipe.
    Mimi

  1. Sounds like such a delicious recipe! I'm not a canner but would like to become one someday. Your jars all lined up look beautiful!

  1. This is a really timely recipe because I just learned from a cooking class that chili sauce is the #1 selling condiment. Now, we can make our own and save $$$$$! Thank you, Gail! :-)

    xoxo
    Jane

  1. That does look tasty!!! I'll have to try that when I buy my canning set...I"m saving money for that!!! Hav a great weekend!!! Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :) :)

  1. Excellent recipe! I used to love putting chili sauce on just about everything but haven't had it in a while. This looks like a fun one to try.

  1. I would love to make my own chili sauce! Now I just need to figure out how to keep going and not sleep! YUMMY, Gail. I know that whatever you post is going to be delicious.
    Yvonne

  1. Julie Harward said...:

    YUM...looks like a good recipe. I have used my bottled tomatoes in my chili for years..so good! :D

  1. Jacqueline said...:

    This looks so delish and is soooo pretty in the jar. I haven't ever made my own chili sauce, but this would be fabulous on so many things.

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.