How Simple is THAT: Egg Salad

Wednesday, March 26, 2014
Yeah, I know everyone has their version of egg salad -- and in my years I have eaten a lot of versions. Since going low-carb for life in 2010 Egg Salad has become one of my ultra low carb, go-to foods! Especially in the warm weather months. Since we've only now arrived at spring, it has been a while!

Recently I was browsing some of my favorite blogs and visited Kitty's Kozy Kitchen -- she had posted her version of egg salad -- and some pretty dishes and a sweet story too. Then I looked closely at her recipe -- I felt like I was peeking into my own kitchen. Her technique for cooking the eggs -- the same as mine (well, actually I learned that from Martha Stewart decades ago). Her technique for cooling the eggs -- the same as mine (again, may be M.S.'s). Her technique for mashing the eggs -- the same as mine (pretty sure Martha's also, lol). I NEEDED to make this recipe, because it wasn't the same as mine and it looked a whole lot more interesting (and originally hales from Cook's Illustrated and I know you can't go wrong with them)!



Miss Kitty's Egg Salad

6 eggs, large
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons red onions, minced
1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, minced
1 stalk celery, chopped fine
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon table salt
ground black pepper

Place eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with 1-inch of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. 
Remove pan from high heat. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.(This cooks the eggs perfectly without the ugly green ring around the edges).
Fill a medium bowl with 1 quart water and 1 tray of ice cubes. Transfer eggs to ice water bath with slotted spoon and let sit 5 minutes. (I just run cold water over my pot of eggs in the sink and then fill with ice cubes. Peel eggs and dice medium. (I use a pastry blender to quickly chop the eggs). 
Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl, including pepper to taste. Serve or refrigerate overnight.

Since we do not eat bread, I divvied this into 2 hearty servings. Each serving contains 434 calories, 3.28g carbs, .5g fiber = 2.78g net carbs.