Hot Cereal Time of Year

Wednesday, September 25, 2013
photo credit: Earth Sky
Do you feel that? We have certainly had a change in the weather in the last couple weeks. No more 100°+ days and although it is still gorgeous during the days, the nights are getting nippy. We went all the way down to 50°F last night.

The frost won't be on the pumpkin for a few more weeks BUT hot cereal is something my mind turns to with colder mornings -- in my grain eating days I was an oatmeal fanatic. 

Now I have traded oats for flaxseed meal and chia. Have you tried chia cereal? I reviewed chia seeds last fall (that post is HERE) and I really have enjoyed having them in my diet BUT recently found what I like even better -- Milled Chia -- the texture is much more *cereal*-like and not so seedy to me.
So if you have waited to give this powerhouse little seed a try -- wait no longer. Such a great way to start a chilly morning!!

Chia Cereal

2 Tbsp milled chia seeds
2 Tbsp flaxseed meal
2 tsp granulated sweetener
1/2 c boiling unsweetened almond milk 
2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
1/3 to 1/2 c fresh or frozen - with no sugar-added - berries

Pour the boiling milk over seeds/sweetener combination in a pretty good sized bowl, stirring to combine and allow to sit for 2-3 minutes.

Top with 2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream and 1/2 c red raspberries (almost a berry for each bite).

Calories: 327 Net carbs: 3.34 (these numbers are based on using 1/2 cup raspberries) - fiber is 18.5g so drink your water!!