Orange-Gingerbread Muffins

Tuesday, September 24, 2013
What a wonderful weekend -- both of us off for the entire weekend (that doesn't happen often). A short road trip (to see college son play football), lots of great food and some wonderful fall like temperatures -- oh, and it was my birthday weekend too. By Sunday I was a little worn out and ready for a day of rest.



So the plan was church and rest -- then this muffin recipe started rolling around in my head -- pretty much demanding to be invented and baked. I ignored it til I could no longer - glad my resolved weakened (and I find baking relaxing) -- they are WONDERFUL!! Perfect for the first weekend of fall. I highly recommend serving them with lots of softened butter and sugar-free apricot jam -- the BEST!! Happy Fall!!!!

Orange-Gingerbread Muffins

1 c flaxseed meal
1 c almond flour
1 c granulated sweetener
2 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
1 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
zest of 1 orange
8 tsp butter, melted
4 eggs
juice of 1/2 orange


Preheat oven 350°F. Prepare muffin tin or ramekin by greasing. Combine all dry ingredients and zest in a large mixing bowl. Melt butter and combine with molasses. Stir into dry ingredients, alternating with eggs and orange juice. Divide batter among 8 muffin tin cups or small ramekins. Bake for 25 minutes or until done. Makes 8 muffins.

Calories 160, carbs 11.28g, 6.30g fiber = 4.98 net carbs.