Foodie Friday ~ Prairie Honey Pumpkin Bread

Friday, October 2, 2009
Sharing another recipe today from Prairie Home Breads by Judith M. Fertig.


Last night the merchants of the historic downtown Hastings, NE hosted a very unique event. They held open house and gave tours of the living spaces above the old store fronts. I drug my youngest son out with me. What a great event and what interesting living spaces. There was also a terrific turnout. There were lots of folks taking the tour and I think both the bakery and the coffee shop did a booming business. It was very chilly and windy out. Before we headed to the downtown district, I whipped this up Prairie Honey Pumpkin Bread and we enjoyed it with spiced cider when we returned home.

Prairie Honey Pumpkin Bread

3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1-1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp freshly grated nutmeg
2 cups sugar
¾ cup wildflower or other pale amber honey
½ cup water
1 cup vegetable oil
¾ cup cooked pumpkin
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup chopped pecans
½ cup golden raisins

Preheat the oven to 325°. Grease two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans and set aside. Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar together into a large mixing bowl. With a wooden spoon, stir in the honey, water, oil, pumpkin, and eggs until you have a smooth batter. Fold in the pecans and raisins. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack.

Thanks to Michael at Designs by Gollum for hosting Foodie Friday!



17 comments:

  1. What a wonderful treat to welcome you home from that great event. It must have been so interesting to see the living spaces above those old stores!

    ~Susan

  1. SnoWhite said...:

    Those loaves look amazing. Yummy!

  1. Michelle said...:

    Love anything pumpkin! But your honey pumpkin bread sound fantastic!

  1. Mary said...:

    Pumpkin and honey is a marvelous combination. I love your recipe. Not only does it sound delicious, it's also easy to do. That combo is almost as good as honey and pumpkin. Have a great day.

  1. newlyweds said...:

    Beautiful!! I love anything pumpkin. I am having a pumpkin recipe roundup on my blog and would love to include this recipe and link.

  1. Alea said...:

    Oh my, this sounds wonderful! And I just happen to have exactly 3/4 of a cup of pureed pumpkin in my fridge waiting for a project.

  1. Hi~ ~What a wonderful opportunity. Did you take pictures. Copied your recipe and will try it tomorrow. I've been looking for a good one. Love the old homes on your header. It's so nice to meet you.

  1. Kathleen said...:

    Hi Mrs. P,
    My first time here I believe.
    Your pumpkin bread looks wonderful!
    I have made one recipe for many years, but I want to try yours!
    Also, I scrolled down and looked at the Miller's Raisin Bread...my dh makes a great one, but since that is our name, I have this on my list to try.
    His involves more work..so I will take the easy way out.
    Thanks for visiting my blog..I am book marking yours so I can come back and visit soon!
    Kathleen
    L.I., NY

  1. I love the idea of honey in this GREAT!!! recipe. I will add it to my recipe box. Geri

  1. Lori E said...:

    This sounds delicious. Canadian Thanksgiving is next weekend.

  1. common ground said...:

    This is one of my absolute fall favorites. Looks delish! Thanks for coming by for the give-away. Have a wonderful weekend!
    Debra

  1. I love pumpkin bread! This looks so good I can almost smell it.

    We drove through many western states last month and were amazed by the prairies in South Dakota! So beautiful!

  1. I'll be right on over for a piece of that and a cup of coffee! YUM! I will be making that!!!! My daughter is a Chef at the Augusta National Golf Course in GA. I see you have a small catering business "on the side" and you work full time....You are one busy girl!
    Hugs,
    Lynn

  1. darnold23 said...:

    This sounds wonderful! Mister Linky is up and ready for this week's Crock Pot Wednesday. Thanks so much for participating last week. I hope to see you again this week. Thanks a bunch. Debbie.

  1. Donna said...:

    Wow! Does that sound good!
    -love Wildflower honey- yummy!

  1. lyndaloo said...:

    Wonderful! I have just enough pumpkin left from yesterday's baking to make this. Thanks Gail

  1. Kristen said...:

    So many wonderful pumpkin recipes! Here's another to add to my 'must make' list!

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.