A Wee Bit O'Irish Luck

Saturday, March 17, 2012


St. Paddy's Greetings!

For the first time in years, I had no plans to make a big dinner on St. Patrick's. Afterall, the kids are all out on their own and I had to work this morning. No one mentioned wanting to do anything and really, I thought I was pretty fine with that. Until this morning,on my way to work I thought about our usual celebration and it made me a little sad to think that it wasn't going to be this year. Things change -- change is good.

Then I got a text message from #1 daughter -- *Are you making St Paddy's food?*. My response was I didn't really plan too -- PULEEEEEZE!! She must have texted #2 son because he called within minutes asking what I wanted him to do for the dinner. Then #2 daughter chimed in that we NEEDED to do St. Paddy's. So as soon as I was able to get out of work, I stopped at the grocery store and loaded my cart full of the usuals -- corned beef, red potatoes, carrots, turnips, cabbages and the makings for soda bread. Change is good but so is tradition....this is one I enjoy very much.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

12 comments:

  1. So funny Gail... My sons come to dinner on Sundays and a couple years ago St. Pat's was during the week so I didn't make CB&C... Let's just say that did NOT go over well! I won't make that mistake again. Enjoy your dinner:@)

  1. LDH said...:

    Sweet... you're gonna have a full table after all :)

  1. Marigene said...:

    You should know you can't break tradition without lots warning and whining, Gail!

  1. Lynnie S said...:

    That is awesome. I know your heart was brimming over! Mine was for you as I read! Glad you had a great day.

  1. kitty said...:

    Awwww, yes tradition is good and I know that a wonderful time was had by all!!

  1. acorn hollow said...:

    I love tradition and so glad that you are having you corn beef and cabbage.
    Cathy

  1. I know they loved coming to your house and you loved having them. Traditions are so important! hugs, Linda

  1. How wonderful that you pulled through for your kids :) Even though they're grown and one their own too, my girls love traditional family meals.

  1. Great post!-- Mamas are so beggable, twistable, flexible-- and SO lovable! You're no exception. I'll bet you had a wonderful time with family and good food. (Kids, no matter what their age, keep us going in so many different ways.) Doris

  1. :) :) :) All those messages from your kids :) :) I hope you had a wonderful day yesterday :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

  1. Patty Sumner said...:

    Isn't it great that they still enjoy your cooking and the traditions you have set up for them in the past. I would have done the same thing....shopped, cooked and enjoyed them! Blessings!

  1. I LOVE that the kids all wanted you to make that traditional Irish dinner. So sweet!

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.