Low-Carb Living - Breakfasts of Champions!!

Friday, September 7, 2012

When people find out that I have lost a large amount of weight on a low carb diet, almost always I am asked, *What do you eat*, sometimes it is specific to one meal or another or more general as in everything, lol. Today I thought I would share what I eat most often for breakfasts.




First I should tell you that by nature I am not really a breakfast person. I would never miss breakfast now but in my bad eating days, skipping or actually coffee for breakfast was common. Breakfast is important critical for fueling you and getting you going. I also want to share what's for breakfast because I think a lot of people think that low-carb eating is ONLY about bacon and eggs. I've already shared that eggs are not particularly my thing. I've learned to eat them but in moderation.
All summer long I worked very early and long hours to be able to take a 3rd day off each week. Not a lot of time for breakfast. I started making Whey Protein shakes with almond milk, a splash of cream, lots of ice and a small amount of berries (3-4 strawberries, 1/4 cup blueberries or raspberries) or 1 Tbsp of Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa. These shakes come in anywhere from 5 to 9 net carbs depending on my add-in. Very filling and easily hold me until lunch. This is usually my breakfast at least 3 days a week.



Up next is my absolute favorite low-carb breakfast -- Flaxseed Meal-Peanut Butter Hot Cereal. I am not a cereal person per say. I never liked cold cereals as a kid -- although I would eat anything granola-like. Oatmeal has always been a favorite but I am not talking the packets of instant, flavored stuff -- just good, old fashioned oats, or even better steel-cut oats. They are great for those of you who can tolerate carbs, I cannot so no more oatmeal for me. Recently, I was turned on to this recipe that is credited to Laura Dolson.


Flaxseed Meal-Peanut Butter Hot Cereal

1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1/2 cup boiling water
2 Tbsp peanut butter
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Pour boiling water over flaxseed meal and stir well. Stir in peanut butter and cinnamon. Let thicken for 1-2 minutes. Eat. Makes 1 serving.

  .
This cereal is very high in fiber and oh, so delicious. The nutrition info will be determined by what type of peanut butter you use. I use Planter's Natural and my calories for the cereal is 312 with only 3.16 net carbs.I find this is so satisfying that I am surprised to find it after lunchtime and no hunger at all. I had this last weekend before my 10k.

One more breakfast idea and this one is EGGS. These are perfect for making in advance for quickie breakfasts.


Egg Buttons
(Printable Version)

3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
8 oz half and half (I use cream)
12 large eggs
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup chopped green onions (I am making these this weekend and using fresh roasted Hatch chilies instead of the green onions)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray mini muffin tin with non-stick spray. In a pour-spout mixing bowl or large mixing cup, combine all ingredients. Fill muffin tins. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 36 buttons. Freeze into individual serving (I usually eat 3) packages. Reheat in oven or microwave before serving.

Each button contains 47 calories and (less than 1) .68g net carbs. (again, for me 3 buttons are a serving so 141 calories and about 2 net carbs).

Hoping I have given you some ideas for QUICK, and make ahead breakfasts that are wonderfully low-carb and a great way to Break The Fast.

Have a great weekend!