Faithfulness Farm Kitchen Tour

Sunday, February 13, 2011
Lynn over at Happier than A Pig is having a My Favorite Kitchen Gadget Party! My kind of party for sure. I don't think I am going to show you anything new...I am always blogging about one gadget or another but I LOVE a party and I LOVE my ktichen, so come on in and take a look around.

Here at Faithfulness Farm, I operate a working kitchen. I cook, bake, can and cater out of my small home kitchen. I don't have room for frivolous gadgets...only the ones that earn their keep stay around in my kitchen. That said, I have many favorites. Recently I told you about my new coffee maker. Grab yourself a cup. You're only company on your first visit. We're old friends now!
Something every working kitchen needs is good knives. Like any tool, you have to maintain your knives. You are much more likely to get cut from a dull knife than a sharp one. If you don't know how to sharpen your knives, find someone who can maintain them for you....many malls have a cutlery shop that offers sharpening services. Notice in my block there is a pair of poultry sheers and a pair of sissors. Both are great tools to have around. Hand-in-hand with good knives is cutting boards. I prefer wood ones. I have these three babies staged in different places around the kitchen. Ready to grab and chop, cut or carve.
My kitchen is a microwave-free zone. One of my most important gadgets is my kettle. It boils water for tea as well as recipes. A great hint to keep drains running free is to pour boiling water down the drain on a regular basis. I do this weekly and can't tell you how many years I've gone without the services of a plumber. I wouldn't want to be without a kettle sitting on the stove *at the ready*! That little whistle attachment is pretty important too....I burned my last kettle up because there was no whistle and I got distracted. Number #2 son made sure that won't happen again!
I am always going on about my beloved cast iron cook and bakeware. They are HIGH on my favorites lists BUT....I have other cookware that is special to me too........
My dear children decided I NEEDED red cookware. They gifted me with this set of Paula Deen cookware and I love having them hanging around my kitchen (and I love using them too). My pot rack is also a pretty handy gadget. It hangs over my homemade kitchen island made from an old Singer sewing machine base. The two just seemed to be made for each other. And while we're dicussing what is handy...crocks of hand tools next to the stove is about as handy as it gets. I especially love wooden spoons. Many of mine are Amish made. So simple and yet some of the best gadgets I own.Timers are valuable gadgets to a baker. Even 1 extra minute can mean something is too browned to be acceptable to sell. I like both the high tech and low tech versions.
Low tech....can you imagine making meringue with one of these babies. My grandmother did....regularly. I am glad to have this instead HERS..... and HIS! I use several of the attachments, the grain mill for making whole wheat flours, the meat grinder and sausage stuffer, and the pasta maker. These machines have been a very wise investment for my kitchen.

Lastly, I wanted to tell you about this little gadget that is always ready to lap up spills and take care of any and all crumbs that make it to the floor...... JOSEY - my sweet corgi dog!



Thank you for dropping by and thanks to Lynn for hosting such a FUN party!

43 comments:

  1. La said...:

    Looks like your kitchen is set for any cooking or baking challenge.

    Happy Valentine's Day! La

  1. Hi Gail, I always have a whistling tea kettle because I am famous for putting the kettle on and walking away! We tried to go without a microwave this summer but the kids missed it for POPCORN!! So we have it again. And I agree--the best helper in the kitchen might be the dog who cleans up the spills! Linda

  1. Kim McCallie said...:

    Loved seeing your kitchen, Gail. I have the Paula Deen cookware, too, but, unfortunately, no pot rack so I don't get to admire them. I also love your Kitchenaid mixer. That's just a dream for me right now!

  1. I love it, just my style! :)

  1. Hi Gail! I love your center island, I have G-Mom-B's old singer, it still works. Your PD pots add a nice pop of color, and two KA's-wow-now that's cooking! Josey's a cutie!
    Thanks so much for joining the party-Happy Valentine's Day:@)

  1. beautiful, lots of wonderful things I see....and the corgi is sweet as pie!

  1. bj said...:

    First off, that little Josey is adorable. :))

    I don't have a standing mixer and I WANT ONE...BAD.Guess I'll start watching Ebay for one.:)
    I love your island. I have a little black and white table with an old Singer stand as base. We have Mr. Sweet's mom's Singer, too. hmmmmm...a kitchen island....GREAT idea. Since it;s the whole machine, bet we could put another top over it. Wouldn't that be so cute?
    Love all your gadgets...:)

  1. Denise said...:

    What a great post - and what a great kitchen. I covet all your things.

  1. Linda Stubbs said...:

    How pretty!!!!!!! Loved it all! I wish I could sit at your table and sip some tea with you! Hope your day was restful!

    Hugs, Linda

  1. So glad Josey made it on the lost!!!!!

    Nothing better than a tea pot on the stove. Reminds me of my Mom and Grandmother and cozy cups of tea!!! Loved the tour of your kitchen. Thank you!

  1. Gert said...:

    I loved this tour...such great ideas and helpful hints. We just bought a new "his" Kitchen Aide mixer today...smile Can't wait to try it!! Thank you...

    Blessings...
    xoxo Gert

  1. dlmsliceofpie said...:

    Fantastic! Couldn't live without cast iron! thanks for sharing.

  1. Carol said...:

    Great gadgets, so many, you are very well-equipped in the kitchen!

  1. The whistling kettle seems to be an issue for many of us as we get older and busier. I had to get one too as I nearly ruined my other one.
    My Kitchen Aid mixer is invaluable too and an asset as arthritis sneaks in.
    Your kitchen is definitely user friendly and you must love working it.

  1. Every home should have a pet to lick up spills. Gail, loved your post and all red Kitchen-Aid and pans. I got a new whistling tea kettle in red this year and love it -- for some strange reason it makes me happy when it whistles. Joni

  1. That was a gadget fest! Love them all but I am in love with your sewing machine base island. That is the best! I would love that set of red cookware to ;)

  1. dogsmom said...:

    There is no doubt which of your "gadgets" is my favorite! Give Josey a hug from me.
    Yesterday at a thrift store I saw a perfect Singer for that sewing machine base. Only $20! A very ornate golden oldie.
    Love all the colors accented in your kitchen.

  1. Sometimes I think I am looking at myself in your photos. I have the same mixer, cookbooks, timers (both), hand mixer (was my mom's), wood cutting blocks, crocks with rolling pins, crocks with kitchen tools. Crazy. Have a wonderful Valentine's Day and one thing I don't have are those adorable canisters. Love em' with the red lids. I would have bought those too if I had seen them.

  1. You have wonderful gadgets...but what caught me was NO microwave. Goodness....I don't think I could survive!!

  1. Jacqueline said...:

    I don't have one of those automatic sweepers at my house! I love the his and hers mixers, I have a red one at our cabin and just love the color. What fun pots your kids gave you, I love Paula's reds and that Singer sewing table is great. How fun to tour your best gadgets.

  1. Nicole said...:

    I love the red cookware and just all of the red elements for your farmhouse kitchen. Red is such an intense color and in the kitchen it adds spice and life. I love my shelves, my garage looks like the kitchen deptartment of Bed bath and beyond, my husband thinks I have a problem, but at least last night he said they are useful items. I wanted to let you know that I'm going to start following you now :)

  1. Nicole said...:

    Love the red cookware add spice and life to your farmhouse kitchen. I have my shelves in my garage, they are great. Wanted to let you know I'm following you now.

  1. I don't use a microwave. It is there because it came with the house. I could use a second oven.

    Your kitchen is wonderful and I love everything. I have the red mixer.

    Thanks for sharing and Happy Valentine's Day!

    Carol

  1. Where did you get your canisters at? I just adore the white with the red top and black writing. Also the print photo behind you cutting boards. I love a red kitchen and an old fashioned one all at the same time. If you get a chance lmk where you purchased the canisters. Your kitchen is lovely.

  1. Maggie said...:

    Wow, you have some wonderful toys in your kitchen and not only do you have MY favourite gadget,the KA, but you have complementary his 'n hers!!

  1. Marie Anne said...:

    Oh gosh, I love the sewing machine island!

  1. Denise Marie said...:

    I've never used a mixer and you've got 2. :)

  1. Carol said...:

    Gail,
    Love the pops of red. And the term working kitchen. Because that is what a kitchen is for!
    It would pointless for me to have a teakettle without a whistle. Pointless. I'd boil it dry every time.
    I have a couple of timers too. Family members were surprised when I asked for another one for Christmas, because ovens have timers built in. So?....I'm often not in the kitchen when the timer goes off. Too many other things to do. I don't wait around in there for things to finish cooking...
    Have a marvelous day!

  1. Beth said...:

    I very much enjoyed touring your kitchen, Gail! I learned something from you too as you discussed your various gadgets. Josey is a sweetie too.
    Blessings, Beth

  1. Kathleen said...:

    That was fun, Gail! We have his and her mixers too! I agree about the knives. I bring mine with me when I think I will be helping in the kitchen. Working with a dull knife is such a waste of time!

    Mike uses his wood boards, I like the white ones I get at the restaurant supply. I give them a clorox soak in between dishwashers visits!
    I notice your FOOD mags in that beautiful sewing machine base. My neighbor works for Hearst and gave me a year of that mag. I am enjoying it!

  1. Look at you with those "two" pretty standing mixers and me here with only a hand held! I like HERS, but I'd take HIS! LOL!
    I enjoyed seeing all your wonderful gadgets too! I especially like the handheld beater that was your grandmothers, my mom still has one of those! I loved it!

  1. Pam said...:

    Looks like you have all the necessary gadgets. I like your no microwave zone. Mine is actually microwave free, but it's because I don't want it on my counter and I put it in the garage.

  1. bj said...:

    Hey, Gail...I just saw where someone is bringing over a loaf of Banana Bread, you are making a pot of coffee and...I WANNA COME, TOO. Now, I don't have anything to bring so I guess you can pick out one of my subjects in my KITCHEN GADGETS THAT I LOVE, could be Harrison..
    Tom...or how about Johnny?? and I can MAKE A PHOTO OF HIM and bring THAT.!! :)))
    Sounds like a plan to me.

  1. Oliva said...:

    Your kitchen is my dream kitchen! I like your kitchen island! I wish now I had saved my mother's old Zinger sewing machine. Thanks for stopping by!

  1. OhPioneer1806 said...:

    That was so much fun Gail. We have so many of the same gadgets. And I laughed out loud when I saw the copy of the HayDay Market Cookbook in the background. I just ordered this from Amazon not a day ago (along with Prairie Home Cooking!). Too funny!!

  1. Cathy said...:

    Gail,
    Thanks for the tour! I LOVE♥ your kitchen!! Really love the RED♥ accents :)
    Hugz,
    Cathy♥♥

  1. Sherry said...:

    Gail you have the greatest stuff in that kitchen! I have to agree knives and the Kitchen Aid mixer are a fav of mine also! Wonderful tour of your kitchen through gadgets.
    Sherry

  1. Olive Cooper said...:

    Hi Gail, I was unable to join this party but I am so glad I checked on you. I adore your working kitchen and we have similar things. I do not use a microwave either and wish I had a Kitchenaid mixer. Joe cooks on cast iron all the time. Love your red Deen set of cookware. Keep on cooking♥O

  1. Picket said...:

    Hey girl...love the kitchen tour!!! That island is fantastic and I have my Paula Deens hanging on my pot rack!!! lol Hope you're having a great week...Picket

  1. Lynn n John said...:

    You kitchen looks wonderful a dream kitchen : )
    Great idea for the sewing machine base too
    Lynn

  1. Linda said...:

    I know what you mean about the cast iron....I am always talking about cooking with my cast iron...its my favorite. I love the kitchen island....now I know what I can do with my old singer sewing machine base....Thank You!

  1. fabricartist21 said...:

    I love your kitchen. I hang pots and pans and keep them out of the way and very handy. I envy you living on a farm. I know it is hard work but I use to love it. Now the city not quite the same. Now I am having a give away on bmy blog to gather up a few more followers. If you have the time go in and check me out.
    Thanks.

  1. I have that exact cutting board you have. the one on the bottom. I love it. & the egg beater the old one that I had, (no more) sad! I have an old time stove perk coffee maker and grind my own coffee beans fresh. Love CountryLife

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.