SUPERFood Frittata

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

I don't know about you, but whenever there is a new article or list touting the benefits of SUPERFOODS, it gets my full attention. Don't we all want to make sure that what we're eating is giving us the maximum health benefit? As someone who's WOE is low-carb, it is always very encouraging to see the staples of my way of eating make the cut. So what makes a superfood, SUPER -- they are whole foods that contain a high concentration of nutrients. In order to be labeled a superfood, it must offer specific health benefits above and beyond its normal nutritional value and optimize your health.


This frittata is being named SUPERFood Frattata because it features 3 superfoods.

Eggs

Kale

and Red Peppers
Eggs should be the low carbers best friend. I have admitted before that I am not usually the biggest egg fan -- for breakfast that is. For whatever reason I can eat them so much better as a lunch or supper and do at least a couple times a week. Not only are they nutritionally great, they are such a great bargain too. 

I am a fairly new covert to Kale. Not sure why it took me so long to give it a try (generally I love greens) but once I did, I started using it liberally in my low carb way of eating.

Red Peppers are like candy and any veggie that colorful is FULL of nutrition. I love them roasted -- either roasted myself or many times I'll get jarred roasted peppers if they are a better value (usually are this time of year).

I also use coconut oil and almond milk in this recipe and they too fall into that SF category. Feel free to change up the veggies to make your own SUPERFood combination but this one is a winner in my book. 


SUPERFood Frittata

12 large eggs
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 cup blanched and coarsely chopped kale
1 cup thinly sliced roasted red peppers
8 ounces shredded smoked Gruyere cheese
1 tbsp coconut oil
salt and pepper to taste

Combine eggs and milk in a large bowl and whisk until smooth. Stir in the the prepared vegetables and half of the cheese. Heat coconut oil over medium high heat in a large, ovenproof skillet. When the oil shimmers, add egg mixture and reduce heat to medium low and cover. Allow to cook, making sure there is no visible bubblings, until set. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top and put under the broiler for a minute or two to melt the cheese and brown the top. Use a knife or rubber scraper to loosen the sides of the frittata, turn onto a cutting board and slice. Serve hot, or chill and serve cold. Makes 8 servings. Each serving 239 calories, 2.84g carbs, 0.6g fiber = 2.24g net carbs.