Beef & Asparagus Stir-Fry

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Early in my low-carb journey I saw Chef Ming Tsai and his Mom make a dish that featured thin-sliced beef steak and asparagus. It had simple ingredients and certainly could be made low-carb. Weeks later when I decided I wanted to try it I couldn't find the recipe to save my life.


So I was left to my (sometimes faulty) memory to recreate it. While it probably bares little resemblance to the original, it has become one of my favorite quick prepare meals. You will notice that I use Coconut Aminos instead of soy sauce. That is a preference for me but you can use soy sauce instead if you prefer.

Beef & Asparagus

1 lb thinly sliced beef steak (I really like ribeye for this purpose)
1 lb fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 shallot, thinly slices
1-2 tbsp oil
2-3 Tbsp Coconut Aminos (or soy sauce)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook steak until about done. Add asparagus and continue cooking until bright green and tender crisp. Add Coconut Aminos, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Serve immediately.


On the side, my favorite Asian inspired salad that is dressed with a dressing that has been a favorite forever and comes from my friend Steph of Steph's Country Goodness fame. The salad is simply romaine hearts, celery and scallions and toasted sesame seeds.

Creamy Teriyaki Salad Dressing

1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp granulated sweetener
1 Tbsp vinegar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
1-2 tsp Coconut Aminos (or soy sauce)

Combine all ingredients and allow to sit for at least 30 minutes before serving.