Spinach Artichoke Chicken

Friday, November 29, 2013
You know that appetizer served at the big apple chain restaurant that is served with tortilla chips? Oh, man I LOVE that stuff!!

Since I don't indulge in chips, I tend to eat this addictive substance straight off a spoon -- that is until earlier this year when I was out with my daughter -- had a spoonful and it was delicious, took a second and since it had been heated in a microwave, I sustained a nasty burn to the roof of my mouth. Wowsa did that hurt and took weeks to heal.

I still love the flavors but have shied away from having it in uncontrolled circumstances -- meaning I need to be in control, lol. 
But it didn't scar me so badly that I didn't think of a way to graduate this appetizer to a main dish and boy, howdy is it good -- no chips required!
Spinach Artichoke Chicken

olive oil spray
6 chicken breasts halves
13.75 oz artichoke hearts packed in water, drained
10 oz frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed and chopped
1/2 sm onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup Parmesan cheese, divided 

salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a 10-inch skillet with olive oil spray and heat to medium-high. Season chicken breasts and brown on each side. Remove from skillet and cover to keep warm. Respray skillet and add chopped onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook another 2-3 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, onion and garlic mixture, chopped spinach, drained artichoke hearts and half of the Parmesan cheese. Return chicken to skillet in a single layer and pour on top of chicken. Top with remaining half of cheese. Bake 20-25 minutes. Let stand about 5 minutes before serving. Serves 6. Each serving has 478 calories, 8.3g carbs, 4g fiber = 4.3g net carbs