Crockpot Wednesday ~ Barbecued Bean Soup w/Beef Short Ribs

Wednesday, September 30, 2009


Joining in at Dining with Debbie for Crockpot Wednesday. Thanks for the invitation to join in Debbie!

I really enjoy beef short ribs in my fall & winter menus. They cook long and slow and are perfectly suited to crockpot cooking. This recipe was a new one to us and we really enjoyed it. The only change I made was to brown the ribs prior to putting them into the crockpot. Added more intense flavor. I also used my favorite Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. I served with a hot skillet of cornbread.

Barbecued Bean Soup Recipe with Beef Short Ribs
(Printable Verison)

1 pound Great Northern beans, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1-1/2 to 2 pounds beef short ribs, browned in a skillet with 1 Tbsp olive oil
6 cups water
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
3/4 to 1 cup barbecue sauce (your favorite)

In crockpot, combine beans with onion, pepper, and browned short ribs; cover with the water. Cover and cook on LOW 10 to 14 hours. Remove short ribs and cut meat from bones. Return meat to crockpot and stir in barbecue sauce and salt, to taste. Cover and cook on HIGH for about 20 minutes longer. Serves 8.

5 comments:

  1. GREAT!!! recipe for the slow cooker. THANKS!!! Geri

  1. Sharon said...:

    Good Morning Mrs. P :)

    Thank you for sharing that recipe! It sounds perfect for the cooler weather. I have some short ribs and was wondering how I could prepare them. I also just recently found a wonderful recipe for barbecue Sauce. Yum!

    Thank you for visiting my blog and sharing your blessings. I am praying that the Lord would chose whoever He desires to win :)

    Your Granmother's Apple "Sauce" cake sounds great I just may have to try that. Especially since I thought I was done with canning and my honey brought me some more apples! Hint, hint :)

    Have a blessed day and I look forward to spending more time here!

    Sharon

  1. Lori E said...:

    I always (almost) brown the meat first for flavor. It really makes such a difference to the finished dish.

  1. I can't wait to try this...well it will be my hubby cooking it...you see, he looooves to use the crockpot. Thanks sooooo much for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Linda

  1. darnold23 said...:

    Thanks so much for posting to Crock Pot Wednesday. I really appreciate your participation and willingness to share. I will look forward to seeing you there again. Mister Linky is up and ready for this week's posting.

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.