Gooseberry Patch & Just Perfect Sloppy Joes

Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Forgive my absence....we had some computer problems and I solved the problem by getting a NEW computer.

I LOVE Gooseberry Patch. I have been blessed to have many recipes included in their lovely cookbooks over the years. I follow them on Facebook and my ears perked up when I heard they were offering a free cookbook today. The catch, you need to submit a picture of you and one of the Gooseberry Patch Cookbook recipes all prepared and the book it came from. Well, lots of their recipes are on our favorites list, so this was easy-peasy. Well, I hate to have my picture done but dear son #2 helped me out and although he is not the photographer in the family, the process was pretty painless. If you are interested in entering the details are here.


So, son #2 loves Sloppy Joes. Always has and I assume he always will. We used to make another recipe but when I got my Church Suppers book from Gooseberry Patch, I was very intrigued by the name of this recipe submitted to GBP by Amy Wrightsel from Louisville, KY...Just Perfect Sloppy Joes. I tried them out and we've never returned to our old recipe. Very YUMMY and as the name states, Just Perfect!!

Just Perfect Sloppy Joes
(Printable Version)

3lbs ground beef, browned and drained
1 onion, finely chopped
1 green pepper, chopped (we use ½ green & ½ red)
28-oz can tomato sauce
¾ c catsup
3 T Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp pepper
½ tsp garlic powder
8 sandwich buns, split

Combine all ingredients except sandwich buns in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours, or on high for 3 to 4 hours (we also will just make them on top of the stove if I haven’t planned ahead). Serve in sandwich buns (we always top with a tad of shredded cheese). Serves 8.

I'm posting to the Tuesday Foodie Events....Thanks to Jen, Lisa & Cole from Tempt Your Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, and Tuesdays at the Table.


I'm editing to include this post with Debbie's Crock Pot Wednesday. Thanks for hosting Debbie!


20 comments:

  1. I think your picture turned out great! The recipe sounds good too. Good Luck!

    Sue

  1. We agree with Sue above...great picture! Thanks for entering. :)

  1. Hope you win the cookbook!!! Speaking of sloppy joes....
    Our son was here for Sunday lunch this past weekend, and brought along 4 of his college friends. He has always loved sloppy joes, so I made up a huge pot and got whole wheat buns to serve it on. I chopped raw veggie sticks (carrots, celery, cucumber and red pepper) to go with ranch dressing dip, made a pan of brownies and bought a gallon of icecream. LOL, Some of those boys had third helpings! I think they enjoyed their lunch. :-)

  1. Thank you for posting this. I've been looking for a recipe for Sloppy Joes - I used to love them when I was a kid in Canada. My best friend's mom always used to call them Sloppy Sams because my dad's name was Joe :)

  1. Sounds completely yummy - much better than Manwich! '-) You kitchen is lovely & SO ARE YOU!

    Blessings from Ohio...Kim <><

  1. Wendy said...:

    I've been looking for a slow cooker sloppy joe recipe! Thanks for posting, and thanks for stopping by my blog!

  1. I love everything in the Gooseberry Patch catalog! Your photo looks great and I wish you luck with the contest!

    xoxo
    Janie

  1. Jennifer said...:

    Great photo and best of luck to you! The recipe sounds wonderful...going to give it a try! I am enjoying looking around your blog...and thanks for visiting mine today too!

  1. Gail, Oh thank goodness! I missed you! Ahhhhhhhhhhhah, you look so cute! Our family will love this great recipe- especially that it is done in a crock pot!!!!!!
    Welcome back, dear friend!
    Yvonne

  1. Sharon said...:

    Your picture is beautiful!!! The recipe sounds great, we love Sloppy Joes. I too have had the privilege of having several recipes published in GBP. I am going to find you in my books now :)

    Have a blessed day Gail!
    Sharon

  1. Debbie said...:

    Good luck with the cookbook! Thanks for the sloppy joe reminder. I haven't made those in a long time, but i need to. They are delicious. Come join me for Crock Pot Wednesday and the February giveaway.

  1. I have never heard of Gooseberry Patch cookbooks but it sounds like they have good recipes.
    Wishing you luck to win the cookbook.

  1. turtleracing4 said...:

    I haven't had Sloppy Joes in such a long time. This recipe looks great. I love all the red in your kitchen!

  1. Tracey said...:

    I'm going to try this very soon! I have made my own version of sloppy joes, but I never write it down, so it ends up being different each time. I love that this uses the slow cooker as well!

  1. I love that picture of you! I have never seen this cookbook, I will have to check it out. thanks. ~

  1. Joyce said...:

    What a fun way to get lots of recipes and I think I will be seeing your photo possibly in one of their books perhaps? I like your red KA mixer. Mine is boring white but since we moved so often I really could not pick a color but I always look at the red one and the new turquoise one too. My niece has pumpkin orange and that is gorgeous too. I wish I could clock the amount of time my beaters have beaten out recipes. If only my mixer could talk:) Thanks for sharing the information as I am going to check it out now.
    Joyce

  1. Mrs. P. said...:

    So many nice comments!!

    Congratulations goes to Renae Scheiderer from http://alandrenaes.blogspot.com/ Enjoy your new cookbook Renae and I'm hoping that Gooseberry Patch has more of these kinds of giveaways :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

  1. Hi Gail, your picture is great! I love the recipe...many thanks and I will definitely give it a try.

    I love, love Gooseberry Patch and have just about every cookbook they have published!

    Blessings to you,
    Barb ♥

  1. Veggiemomof2 said...:

    We had sloppy Joes last night, but they weren't as easy to these look!

  1. Sherry said...:

    I love Gooseberry Patch! :D Great pic and recipe!

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.