Skillet Suppers-Cilantro Chicken Skillet

Friday, February 19, 2010


I’ve posted about *skillet* suppers before. I love them. My reasons for loving them are many. Firstly, I love using cast iron skillets…..they are the perfect pan. When you make a skillet supper, you are using minimal prep dishes and pots & pans…less mess. Ingredients too are minimal and most recipes use ordinary pantry ingredients which brings us to the fact that they are economical to make. And a bunch of side dishes just are not required. I usually serve with some bread and a salad or fruit. So, all those reasons considered, I’ve deemed the skillet supper perfect for week nights or any other evening you are rushed.



Cilantro Chicken Skillet
(Printable Version)

1 c uncooked long grain rice
3 Tbsp butter
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp fine chopped fresh garlic
1 onion (1/2 c), chopped
1 (15-ounce) can red beans, drained and rinsed well

Cook rice according to package directions; keep warm. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in 12-inch skillet until sizzling; add chicken, cilantro and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink (9 to 10 minutes). Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm. Melt remaining butter in same skillet; add onion. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened (3 to 4 minutes). Stir in beans and cooked rice. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until heated through (2 to 3 minutes). To serve, spoon rice and bean mixture onto serving platter; top with chicken. Garnish with additional chopped cilantro, if desired. Serve with hot pepper sauce.

Sharing at Michael Lee's, Design's by Gollum, Foodie Friday. It is her 1 Year Blog Anniversary. Thanks for hosting Michael and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!



21 comments:

  1. This dish is om my menu for next week Thanks so much! :-)

    xoxo
    Jane

  1. Ladynred said...:

    That is wonderful recipe and looks yummy!
    http://cookandbaking.com/?p=641

  1. That looks yummy. Thanks for sharing. I actually made a pot of red bean soup last night, so I'm thinking this would be perfect for dinner tomorrow. As dinner for tonight is already planned. Again, Thanks for sharing.

    Sandy

  1. Hi Gail, you are making my mouth water! This looks just too good. Thanks a bunch for the recipe....will surely try this!

    Barb ♥

  1. Lynnie said...:

    Yum! I love the skillets. I have started collecting cast iron from antique shops.. some of the antique shops have them for cheaper than I can buy them new.

  1. I made a recipe once that called for buckets of cilantro...well almost. I don't remember what it was, but the taste was overwhelming. Needless to say, we didn't eat much of it...but, the fragrance and taste of cilantro stayed with me for years. I'm just starting to be able to eat it again...in small bits.

    Sue

  1. Mary said...:

    What a fabulous meal, Gail. I must admit to a bit of envy on seeing your collection of perfectly seasoned cast iron :-). I have 2 skillets and a dutch oven that I loved but they don't have the gleam that yours have. Have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

  1. I grew up with cast iron, love them. Looks like a great recipe!

  1. This looks fabulous!!! I love the iron skillets too. I did not know until my dad brought an old one over to me last week, that only the old ones with the very smooth inside are good to use. I have some I bought several years ago, but they are all rough inside and things stick. He says they won't ever work because they are not smooth. Anyway, I seasoned the one he gave me and I use it every morning to make fried eggs for my husband. I always make cornbread in mine. Love them too!!

  1. I'm just a cilantro geek! LOVE IT! This sounds simple, delicious and good for you. Will definitely have it on the menu.
    Happy Cooking!!
    Heather

  1. Gayle said...:

    Looks fab! I love iron skillets, too. Mine is over 60 years old now. My mom gave it to me when I married in '82. She had seasoned it well for over 40 years.

    Enjoyed your scriptures and music.

  1. Katie said...:

    This dish looks great! I am convinced I need an iron skillet now. I will have to go buy one!

  1. You had me at 'cilantro'! 'Nuff said!

    Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

  1. I'm a huge fan of skillets as well. Your meal looks delicious and it's a perfect solution for a busy working mother. Thanks!

  1. saima 2 said...:

    Budget-friendly chicken thighs and a little white wine, broth, cream, and mushrooms make a fabulous meal with rice or noodles. I used boneless chicken thighs, but bone-in would work as well.yummy...
    its yummy and it will be in my next week menu
    http://nonstickelectricskillet.com

  1. What a wonderful dinner. Your skillets are in perfect condition. Thank you for stopping by.

    Carol

  1. Read about this recipe on Facebook and just had to take a peek. It looks as wonderful as I expected! I just read it to the family and got the overwhelming approval to give it a try.

    Though I don't get time to visit often, I always love reading your Facebook posts. Your sweet spirit just shines through.

    Blessings,
    Delinda Lea

  1. Kathleen said...:

    Oh yes, your pans look perfectly seasoned..great collection...recipe looks good too!

  1. Yummmmmy! I need to use my iron skillets more.
    Thanks for the recipe.
    Have a Blessed Sunday,
    Sherry
    aka My Journeyback-thejourneyback.blogspot.com

  1. Looks delicious! I love skillet suppers!

  1. Your skillets look perfect. Mine never look as good, maybe I need to use them more. I have an old dutch oven from my Mom and a couple of skillets. I am trying your recipe looks great!
    hugs,
    Donna

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.