Skillet Suppers~Skillet Cookie

Friday, May 14, 2010


It has been a while since I've posted a recipe in my Skillet Suppers series. For the record, this recipe should be called Skillet Dessert BUT occasionally I think it's okay to skip right to dessert for supper. Cast iron is terrific for baking and this cookie recipe really is a great example of what your cast iron can do in the oven!



Skillet Cookie

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups mixed milk and semisweet chocolate chips (about 9 ounces)

Preheat the oven to 350° F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla, mixing until they are fully incorporated. Add flour mixture, and beat until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Transfer dough to a 10-inch ovenproof skillet, and press to flatten, covering the bottom of the pan. Bake until the edges are brown and top is golden, 40 to 45 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool, 15 to 20 minutes. Cut into 8 wedges. Serve each with a scoop of Vanilla ice cream. Serves 8.

20 comments:

  1. Gail, This is a fabulous cookie dessert. I could see myself serving this during a posh dinner party or when we roast hot dogs over the fire. Just perfect for any ocassion! I love that these cookies are cut into wedges and I bet the skillet leaves the outside cripsy and the inside tender!
    I putting this recipe in my Mrs P file!
    Thanks,
    Yvonne

  1. Oh yum~I might have to try theses.
    Thank you for stopping by today!
    You have such a lovely blog!
    Blessings~
    Carrie

  1. Annesphamily said...:

    I always love a good recipe! Yummy! Thank you for sharing! Anne

  1. fiberdoodles said...:

    Yumm! This sounds wonderful ~ a must try!
    Enjoy your weekend :0)

  1. Charlotte said...:

    Just what I want but do not need! I would eat every one of them! Do you actually have all of the skillets pictured?

  1. Debbie said...:

    Well, this looks just plain delicious. It would be perfect for evenings when my daughter's friends drop by for some movies and munching. I need to send the link to the skillet recipes to my mom. She loves the cast iron skillet, and she would really enjoy them.

  1. Barbara said...:

    Oh that sound fabulous I will make these for sure, thanks and love the cast iron skillet, I have a griddle, a corn poner, and a fry pan, love them old treasures too, Hugs, Barbara

  1. DarcyLee said...:

    This looks so good! It's going in my recipe file for sure.

  1. I've been meaning to make a skillet cookie for years now...I should hurry up!

  1. I need a cast iron skillet, too (and some milk to go with that deliciousness).

    :) Laura

  1. Sharon said...:

    Oh Yum! Now that's my kind of a skillet supper ;) Thanks for sharing Gail and have a wonderful evening!

    Sharon

  1. WOW! Yummy in my tummy! Thanks.

    Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

  1. Kathy said...:

    When I saw the image of the cast iron skillets while visiting Sweet Bee Cottage - I had to stop by! I love my cast iron! I am going to try your recipe! Thanks!
    God Bless,
    Kathy
    blissfulrhythm.blogspot.com

  1. I will definitely have to try this recipe! Looks heavenly!

  1. Sounds wonderful! I will be making these. I love cookies that can be baked in one pan!!!

  1. John'aLee said...:

    Oh that looks so yummy. Is that where you live...the pictures at the top of your blog? What a neat looking place.

  1. nannykim said...:

    Looks fantastic; I can't eat it on my diet. But I oh so agree with you about iron cookware. I use it all of the time and love it!

    http://spindlecottage.blogspot.com/

  1. Ooo! I can't wait to try this! I rarely use our cast iron for dessert type things, but I keep thinking about it. Thanks for the recipe!

  1. Dear Gail,

    It's always a pleasure to stop by the farm and see what's new - you have so many wonderful posts up it was hard to find a place to land! But wow, as soon as I saw this recipe, I thought I'd share that I will just have to give this a try - it looks awesome!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Hugs
    Ramona
    http://create-with-joy.blogspot.com

  1. I will definitely give these a try! They sound yummy!!!

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.