Distractions & Delights

Sunday, March 6, 2011
I'm still here -- really I am. I've warned you that this time of year is harder for me because of work - but this week was a huge challenge -- mostly because I had a HUGE distraction occupying my thoughts and some of my time. I'll try to do better and not let this distraction get in my way! Remember me telling you of my love for African Violets (click for that post). I want to share one of my African Violets that lives on my kitchen window sill with you. Isn't it delightful?! This particular violet was one that I didn't know if I would ever see bloom. It had been a division off of a huge mother violet. This division was given to me 2 summers ago at a garage sale. The mother plant was so gorgeous, I was excited to have this one.....well, it wasn't long and it was the saddest looking thing. I nearly threw it away but since I am stubborn, I didn't. I kept watering and occasionally feeding and it never seemed to do anything -- no growth at all. Now I am going to get deep on you -- aren't people like that too sometimes...no matter what good care given, there seems to be no growth and no blooms. Well, all my hard work paid off -- sometime around Thanksgiving, I noticed growth -- lots of new leaves and it just generally looked like it had turned the bend -- then a couple weeks ago, I was washing dishes and I noticed it -- a bloom bud..a couple days later, there was another. Now it is in glorious bloom! I can't help but grin when I walk thru the kitchen. By looking at it, you'd never know what trouble that little violet had seen and now she is a gorgeous as can be! Don't give up -- on violets or on people.

Coming soon - a sweet giveaway, a St Paddy's tablescape, a post on composting, a cookbook review of my newest very favorite cookbook -- AND a Gooseberry Patch review and giveaway soon too.

17 comments:

  1. She's beautiful and obviously worth the effort!!!

  1. I have a AV that I've had for decades but now I'm addicting to the mini ones, have you seen them? So cute!! Can't wait for the fun ahead!

  1. Kathleen said...:

    I am so glad it bloomed for you. And yes, like people, some, no matter what we do, it doesn't seem to work. But maybe in their hearts it has, who knows!
    Reminded me of my shamrock plant I posted about. Just when you are ready to give a pitch, it springs to life. My mom always said where there is life there is hope!
    I know you are saving that tablescape for the 15th, right Gail? :)

  1. Congrats on your perseverance Gail! The violet is just beautiful:@)

  1. I love your violet......mine is doing so good this year:)

  1. Pam said...:

    Aren't you glad you kept plugging along with it. I love African Violets, but mine never last more than a few weeks. I do water from the bottom, but after the initial blooms fall off, they never bloom again.

  1. Faith said...:

    I have 3 or 4 of these. They are my favorite, and love when they come into bloom, so vibrant and lovely. They like cramped quarters I am told..your excellent care has rewarded you with beauty and grace for your window.

  1. Marigene said...:

    It looks pretty healthy to me...I have a couple of Christmas cactus that seem to fade and then come back strong.

  1. Your violets are lovely! Thank you for sharing your pictures with us.

    Gina

  1. Wow, I really enjoyed reading about your African violet and the nice analogy to people :) :) That was neat ;) :) I love violets in general. They have su ch beautiful purple blooms ;) :) That's amazing that it bloomed after all this time. Have a lovely week. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

  1. Mecky said...:

    That is so cool. It truely is beautiful.

  1. Mrs. P,
    I'm glad you are back! Sometimes life, and lots of it, just happens!
    YOu have a wonderfull green thumb.Your african violet is striking and so pretty. I kill almost every plant I have indoors. When I buy a new one, I appologize to it upfront!
    xo Yvonne

  1. Marlis said...:

    Missed you! What a lovely post. I love your ending, don't give up on plants or people. Your african violet it really beautiful. I can't wait for the rest of your posts!

  1. Marie Anne said...:

    You just never know when it's time for something(one) to bloom. Beautiful violet.

  1. I grew up surrounded by these at home. your pics brought back some lovely memories :)

    Linda @ Lemon Drop

  1. Tina said...:

    Before we moved overseas, I had several African Violets that I kept under a grow light. They were cuttings given to me by a sweet woman that I loved like my mother. She would name each one after a person in the Bible. I sure hated to give them away when we had to move! She passed away shortly after we returned to the states. Your beautiful violets brought back good memories! Thank you for sharing!

  1. fiberdoodles said...:

    I love violets! Yours is so pretty and definitely worth the wait.

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.