10 Things I LOVE About Winter!

Wednesday, December 21, 2011
Okay, remember way back at the beginning of Fall, I posted my 10 Things I LOVE About Fall list? That was so easy for me to come up with off the top of my head -- I truly do love fall. BUT I felt a little convicted - after all, I am to find joy in all circumstances (in Philippians, Paul exhorts his readers to be joyful 16 times)...that means EVEN winter. I don't hate winter, but having been raised in San Diego, winter on the Nebraska prairie tends to still scare me -- especially the driving in it part, lol. Then there is the whole TAX SEASON thing -- those things aside, I was able (with some thought, lol) to come up with my list for winter.

1. Snow – okay, I am not talking about driving in it or even shoveling it, but there is something very quiet and serene about snow. For that reason, I love it.


2. Hot Beverages – Yes, coffee is an important one and I am LOVING Gingerbread K-Cups but also hot tea, hot cider, cocoa – YUM – a warm-up in a cup!

3. Soup – The poster-dish of all comfort foods! The entire process of soup is warming – the simmering, the sipping.......


4. Quilts - Not just having them stacked for covering with, but having the quilt frame up and hand-quilting away the long, house-bound days.

5. Books - No guilt that I should be weeding or mowing or some other productive activity...that is why I am a winter reader more than any other season. I can lose myself in a novel guilt-free. My favorite indulgence -- reading in bed - under the warm quilts! Here is my PINTREST Winter Reading List. Anything else you want to recommend to me?

6. Seed Catalogs - Oh, the fun to see them in my mailbox and to dream about what I will plan and plant when spring finally arrives.


7. Flannel Jammies - I do, I do - I LOVE snuggling into a well worn (softened) pair of flannel jammies! (Not a fan of flannel sheets though -- jammies are my limit, lol).
8. The string of holidays that winter brings - Christmas, New Year's, Valentine's Day and finally St. Paddy's Day - not to mention the birthdays -- youngest sister, youngest son, my dear daddy and now grandbaby will be joining that club. LOTS to celebrate!

9. Cardinal sightings -- when the world has turned to black and white the streak of scarlet is so easy to see. I love the little red boys and although the one who lives in my area is around year-round, it is in the winter months that I see him the most.

10. A new year - that new-again feeling of January - fresh starts and resolutions -- LOVE it all!


Okay, now it is YOUR turn -- I'd love to see your 10 Things I LOVE About Winter list! HAPPY first day of winter!!

17 comments:

  1. You have a great list Gail, don't know if I could add anything to it! Maybe after Christmas sales:@)

  1. acorn hollow said...:

    you have a wonderful list. I wouldn't change much on your reading list I have read a few of them.
    cathy

  1. My ideas are very similar to yours! Nothing like a cold outing then coming in to warm up by the fire with a warm beverage!

  1. Marigene said...:

    Great list, Gail...my favorite thing about winter is soup...we love soup! Another favorite is buying next year's Christmas ornaments for almost nothing.
    Merry Christmas to you and yours, Gail!

  1. I love your list also. I guess I would add after Christmas sales also! I will check out your reading list as I also love to snuggle in a quilt and read away! Enjoy your winter. hugs, Linda

  1. CJ said...:

    Hi! Gail!! Love this post♥ It is encouraging and inspiring :) I'm looking forward to the new year ~ a "new start"! You are looking so happy and young!! lol!
    Hugz, Cathy♥♥

  1. Gail what a wonderful list. I want a white Christmas. Waaaa! Okay enough crying. Have the most wonderful of holidays and a Happy New Year. You look so darling in your red jacket and cute boots.

  1. Living in the Sunny South, we tend to have an abbreviated winter and some days like Tuesday where it was 70 degrees.I love the warmer temps so it is a good thing that I am a GRITS(Girl Raised in The South!). We do love snow even if it brings everything to a complete halt! We had a white Christmas last year! I also love the Vinter Gevalia Coffee that comes to us around Christmas. Snuggling down with a good book is fun as well. Instead of Quilting, I like to Cross Stitch! Enjoying your blog posts!!

  1. I really like your list, Gail :) ) So much fun :) :) Happy CHRISTmas to you and your family :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

  1. Vintage Gal said...:

    Gail ~ love your list and I wouldn't add a thing. Merry Christmas and enjoy winter ;-)

  1. Vintage Gal said...:

    Gail ~ love your list and I wouldn't add a thing. Merry Christmas and enjoy winter ;-)

  1. If there's anything to like about winter, I guess your list about covers it. I do like a nice soft gentle falling of the snow. Seems so serene.
    Merry Christmas,
    Lois

  1. Patty Sumner said...:

    I do believe everything you mentioned would be on my list too. Of course, we do not always have the snow you do. Blessings and thanks for reminding us about the good things of Winter.

  1. CHRISTmas Blessings from my mountain top to your home…May it be the best one ever..Hugs and Love Gloria.

  1. Such a great list; I'm not sure I'd change a thing!

    Hugs,
    Pam

  1. Your list is my list! Except for maybe the seed catalogs, because our growing season is too short for starting seeds.

    I also love cuddling in a blanket or having the fireplace going. :)

  1. NDQuilter said...:

    Looks like a yummy yummy cookbook.

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.