bon appetit - The Cooking School Issue

Friday, January 18, 2013
I love magazines. Have since I was a teenager working in a local drug store and got to read all the mags on the news stand on breaks. Over the years I have subscribed to about every kind of magazine that there is. A couple years ago I made the decision to allow all my subs to expire. It was a good decision but sometimes I miss flipping thru a new issue and marking what recipes need trying. Last weekend I had a coffee date with a friend at a local shop and she brought me  a little gift -- the latest issue of Bon Appetit -- she GETS me.


Two recipes got my attention right away -- Pan-Roasted Brined Pork Chops and Garlicky Spinach. BOTH were fabulous - I did make the pork chop brine low-carb friendly by skipping the sugar called for in the recipe and using a granulated sweetener in it's place (I used Xylitol). I've included links to the original recipes under each photo. Look for some more recipe reviews from this issue -- there are more I want to try!
Pan-Roasted Brined Pork Chop served w/Parmesan Yellow Squash

Garlicky Spinach

What magazines do you enjoy?

4 comments:

  1. I am a magazine girl too! I love the look of this issue of Bon Apopetit! Thanks for the yummy lo-carb option!

  1. Gail,
    I pinned the Spinach recipe. Looks wonderful! My MIL gets many many magazines and she gives them to me when she is done with them.
    I like This Old House and Country Home. For cooking, it's Taste of Home and the light eating magazine they used to have.

  1. Nancy said...:

    I love magazines too. I am now getting almost all the ones I enjoy on my Kindle. The most expensive is Bon Appetit at $1.99 a month. This way I can read them, store them in my Kindle account at Amazon (similar to ICloud) for future reference, and not have all those old magazines lying around. This was an excellent issue and I too earmarked that brined pork chop recipe for trying!

  1. Shel said...:

    Two lovely recipes to try I love trying out recipes from foodie magazines.
    Shel

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.