Muffins in Minutes

Sunday, January 6, 2013
Before I go any further, I decided that the first 2 weeks of this new year I was going to go back to the basics of my way of eating -- Atkin's Induction. That would get me on good footing after holiday eating. I don't stray too far from the net carb limits of induction ever -- I am a smaller stature person and 52 years old -- I have little in the way of tolerance for carbs so I generally stay to 20-30 net carbs per day. In induction I need to keep to 20 net carbs and avoid some of my more favorites non-induction friendly foods -- nuts, berries and seeds (with the exception of flaxseed meal). So many of my breakfast favorites are out.


One of the basics of Atkin's induction is what is called the MIM (Muffin in a Minute). I have never bothered with these because they are made in a microwave. After days of eating eggs for breakfast and missing the levels of dietary fiber my body is used to, I took a look at the basic MIM recipe and gave it a couple tweaks so it could be made in the oven and LIFE IS GOOD AGAIN!! You'll notice that my versions are called *Muffins in MINUTES* -- they don't take long to make (I stir them up and toss into the oven while I am doing hair and makeup in the morning) and you don't get this kind of flavor and texture from a microwave.
Gail's Pumpkin Muffin in Minutes

1/4 c flaxseed meal (I use Bob's Red Mill brand Golden Flaxseed meal -- zero net carbs)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1-2 tsp sweetener (or equalilent of liquid sweetener -- I use 1-2 squeezes of Stevia To Go)
dash of salt
1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp maple extract
2 Tbsp pumpkin puree
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1 egg

Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl.  Add extract, pumpkin puree, egg and melted butter and stir well. Turn out into a small greased ramekin. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 20-22 minutes. Allow to cool a minute or 2 and then run a knife around the edges and turn out. Serve with butter or cream cheese. Makes 1 serving. 

Each serving 204 calories, 9.51g carbs, 7.2g fiber = 2.41g net carbs


Gail's Mounds Muffin in Minutes

1/4 c flaxseed meal
1/2 tsp baking powder
dash of salt
2 tsp Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder
2-3 tsp sweetener
2 Tbsp unsweetened coconut shreds or flakes
1/2 tsp coconut extract
1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 Tbsp sour cream
1 egg

Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl.  Add extract, sour cream, egg and melted oil and stir well. Turn out into a small greased ramekin. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 20-22 minutes. Allow to cool a minute or 2 and then run a knife around the edges and turn out. Serve with butter or cream cheese. Makes 1 serving. 

Each serving: calories 403, carbs 13.64g, fiber 10.3g = net carbs 3.30g



8 comments:

  1. Nuts, berries and seeds? oh my, I would starve. Isn't it funny how we are all so very different in our nutritional needs.

    Just wanted to let you know I finally made the crack slaw last night and it was a big big hit. The recipe made my binder - that's where the keepers go. I used ground turkey instead of beef - since the cancer I don't eat red meat anymore. Thanks for the great recipe.

  1. nannykim said...:

    oh, I may just try it--gluten free too! I wonder how much agave nectar I would use in place of the sweetener?

  1. Your muffins look great. I have some that I use with a box cake mix and canned pumpkin but they are likely not as lo carb as this, I make them in mini muffin tins so I can dole htem out that way....I will try your recipe soon, and I agree microwave cooking does not do it for most baken goods. Back to low carb here to following holiday but oh I do miss the breads, etc.

  1. Anita said...:

    Gail, I'm going to have to find flaxseed meal for sure. I strayed big time, and now I am paying for it. Have you tried "Ideal" sweetener?? We really love it, but my mom orders it because no one carries it here. These look fab and more what I like for breakfast.

  1. I have made the basic Minute Muffins many times but these look delicious and I am looking forward to trying one tomorrow!

  1. kitty said...:

    I've tried these, Gail and they are good!

  1. Katherine said...:

    I am thrilled to have found your blog! I stopped eating MIMs a while ago, because I couldn't deal with the microwave texture. This will be my breakfast tomorrow for sure!
    Katherine

  1. Doris said...:

    I just found your blog.....yeah! I've been reducing carb intake too. I've lost some weight and should loose about 50 more pounds. I looked at your recipes and cannot wait to try some. Bless you....and, yes, I do know your Savior =)

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.