Creamy Tomato Soup & Parmesan Crisps

Saturday, January 26, 2013
Andy Warhol's Campbell's Soup Can

Growing up, Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches simply spelled COMFORT FOOD. I think my own children would make the same statement -- the perfect lunch (or supper) on a cold and wintery day. Andy Warhol even considered it art, lol. Honestly, I was long ago over canned soup and cannot have bread BUT I still enjoy what brings me the same comfort.




This was an especially trying and stressful week. My grandbaby ended up hospitalized for a staph infection in his little leg and then tested positive for influenza b -- must have picked that up on Monday during his 2 hour wait at the doctors office. He is home now and doing so very much better but comfort foods are about all I have had on my mind when I've bothered thinking of food at all. Today I finally caved and made some.
Creamy Tomato Soup

1 8-oz can tomato sauce (my favorite brand these days is Del Fuerte from the hispanic asile of the grocery -- only 7.5 net carbs per 7.4 ounce container)
1/3 c heavy cream
1/8-1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Splenda (or sweetener of choice)
salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
1 pat of butter per bowl

Add all ingredients to a small pot. Simmer on low heat for 5-7 minutes. Makes 2 servings. Serve with a pat of butter and a grind of fresh pepper AND Parmesan Crisps for dipping. 

Calories 145.1, carbs 7g, fiber 1.7g, net carbs = 5.3g
Parmesan Crisps

1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
paprika

Heat oven to 350°F. For each crisp: place 1 Tbsp of grated cheese into a ring mold set over parchment paper on a baking sheet. Spread cheese evenly into round shape. Repeat for each round. Lightly sprinkle with paprika. Bake in oven for 5-8 minutes until the cheese begins to turn a rich golden brown. Serve immediately on a towel-lined plate while still warm and crisp.