Creamy Tomato Soup & Parmesan Crisps

Saturday, January 26, 2013
Andy Warhol's Campbell's Soup Can

Growing up, Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches simply spelled COMFORT FOOD. I think my own children would make the same statement -- the perfect lunch (or supper) on a cold and wintery day. Andy Warhol even considered it art, lol. Honestly, I was long ago over canned soup and cannot have bread BUT I still enjoy what brings me the same comfort.




This was an especially trying and stressful week. My grandbaby ended up hospitalized for a staph infection in his little leg and then tested positive for influenza b -- must have picked that up on Monday during his 2 hour wait at the doctors office. He is home now and doing so very much better but comfort foods are about all I have had on my mind when I've bothered thinking of food at all. Today I finally caved and made some.
Creamy Tomato Soup

1 8-oz can tomato sauce (my favorite brand these days is Del Fuerte from the hispanic asile of the grocery -- only 7.5 net carbs per 7.4 ounce container)
1/3 c heavy cream
1/8-1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Splenda (or sweetener of choice)
salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
1 pat of butter per bowl

Add all ingredients to a small pot. Simmer on low heat for 5-7 minutes. Makes 2 servings. Serve with a pat of butter and a grind of fresh pepper AND Parmesan Crisps for dipping. 

Calories 145.1, carbs 7g, fiber 1.7g, net carbs = 5.3g
Parmesan Crisps

1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
paprika

Heat oven to 350°F. For each crisp: place 1 Tbsp of grated cheese into a ring mold set over parchment paper on a baking sheet. Spread cheese evenly into round shape. Repeat for each round. Lightly sprinkle with paprika. Bake in oven for 5-8 minutes until the cheese begins to turn a rich golden brown. Serve immediately on a towel-lined plate while still warm and crisp.


6 comments:

  1. Melanie said...:

    Yes, that is comfort food for me too!!! Your recipe sounds yummy!!! Will have to give it a try!

  1. Patty Sumner said...:

    Yummy Gail! I love Grill cheese but just have never been a fan of tomatoe soup... I have had one of those need ofr "comfort" food weeks...chicken and dumplings, pot roast, mac and cheese...no low carb or low cal this week..lol...Really messed up my diet....blah! Got to dust my pants off and get it done. Blessings!

  1. Doris said...:

    Oh yum! I will be making the soup today.......it's snowing and will turn to ice and then rain. Perfect tomato soup day, don't you think?

  1. kitty said...:

    You needed comfort food, Gail! I'm so happy that your dear grandbaby is doing better.

  1. Oh no! Glad that darling baby is on the mend!
    I've pinned the Parm Crisps. Love them, I think!

  1. Farmgirl Cyn said...:

    Comfort food, for sure. Love me some tomato soup!

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.