The Household Searchlight Recipe Book

Thursday, August 26, 2010
I have a small collection of vintage cookbooks. They include The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book by Fannie Merritt Farmer, The American Woman's Cook Book, and The Houshold Searchlight Recipe Book. All are dear to me but the one I LOVE is my 1936 copy of The Household Searchlight Recipe Book. It was a gift to me from my late Grandmother-in-law. The recipes from this book were contributed by readers of Household Magazine, published in the earlier half of the 20th century in Topeka, Kansas. There is even a complete copy of the magazine online (Household Magazine). Have you ever seen a copy of this great book? What cookbooks did your grandmother have in her collection. I NEVER saw a cookbook in my own Grandmother's house. Amazing since not only was she a great cook but also a wonderful baker!



Here are a couple recipes from the book.

Pear Cranberry Jam

This old-fashioned jam recipe is from The Household Searchlight cookbook. Recommended methods for processing preserves have changed over the years. Remember to use 'proper canning' methods if you make this recipe!

2 Cups Dried Pears
3 Cups Water
2 Cups Cranberries
3 1/2 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Thinly Sliced Fresh Apples

Remove cores from pears. Wash pears. Chop. Wash cranberries. Combine fruits, water, and sugar. Simmer, stirring frequently, until thick and clear. Pour into sterilized glasses. Cover with melted paraffin.

Chutney

This old-fashioned jam recipe is from the September 1934 issue of The Household Magazine. Recommended methods for processing preserves have changed over the years. Remember to use 'proper canning' methods if you make this recipe!

10 Sour Apples, Chopped
2 Green Peppers, Chopped
1 Onion, Chopped
1/2 Cup Chopped Preserved Ginger
1/2 Teaspoon Chili Powder
1/2 Cup Raisins
1/2 Teaspoon Ginger
1 1/2 Cups Vinegar
1/2 Cup Water
1 Tablespoon Mustard Seed
6 Whole Cloves
1/2 Teaspoon Allspice
1/2 Bay Leaf
2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt

Combine ingredients. Simmer, stirring frequently, until thick. Pour into sterilized jars. Seal. -- Mrs. Howard E. Argabright, Wellston, Ohio.

Sharing at Suzanne's Vintage Thingie Thursday!

22 comments:

  1. Katie said...:

    I absolutely love old cookbooks! They are so much fun to look through.

  1. I love it. What a great book to have and cherish. I do have some very old cookbooks on my shelf, most of them coming from my brandmother's house but none are hardback and famous. TY for this great ans touching post. The recipes too.

  1. I never received any 'passed down' cookbooks, but I loved to check out the books at the library and copy down old recipes. You are so lucky to have this gem! Great recipe, too!

    xoxo
    Jane

  1. Dani said...:

    I have several wonderful old cookbooks...and love them..thanks for sharing the great recipes too

  1. P. said...:

    I admire people who can cook and bake without a cookbook. I am not one of them!

    Great cookbook. Reading that last recipe...wow, those are some interesting ingredients. I wonder if it tasted like a chutney. If you make it, let us know!

  1. How fun! I don't have any vintage cookbooks myself, but I have recently been introduced to one by Hannah Glass (I think that's the way she spells her name) from 1776. It's awesome. The 1783 version is on google books - you can view it for free.

  1. Sandy J said...:

    Hey, I have that cook book. Not sure when mine is from as it was given to my mom as a wedding present in the 50's. But I love it - I've never met anyone who has one before. But I'd recommend everyone reading your post that if they can find a copy it's well worth it.

  1. What a treasure! I have a couple vintage cookbooks...they are so interesting and wonderful.

  1. Linda Stubbs said...:

    Hi Gail, You look so adorable in your about me picture! Love it!

    I live on the farm that my honey grew up on. His momma died 16 years ago. Her cookbooks are still in the cupboard. I love them and use them!

    Hugs, Linda

  1. Anne Marie said...:

    not sure how I got here...but OH MY GOODNESS!! that is the first ever cookbook I got!! I love it! and use it quite frequently........the lady who owned it before me has recipes in her pretty script all inside it - but in pencil so it's fading.......

    so nice to meet you!
    xo+blessings,
    Anne Marie

  1. Anna said...:

    Wow. The cover on that book is incredible. I love the look of books like that. My grandmother's didn't have cookbooks either, thank goodness one of them contributed a few recipes to an Anglican Church Women's cookbook which I have.

  1. OhPioneer1806 said...:

    I love this cookbook and am delighted to own the same copy as you do. After hearing all the good things you had to say about it over the years I was super excited to see it turn up in an odd lot box of books a friend bought for me at an auction !! I think I'll spend some time curled up with this old friend tonight.

  1. Haddock said...:

    looks interesting and yummy

  1. Sue said...:

    Gail, Imagine my surprise when I saw the cover of this book and said, "I have that very book!"
    My grandmother gave it to me 34 years ago and it just fascinates me. It was a Christmas gift to her from her sister and is dated 1937. It was the tenth printing in 1937, with the original copyright in 1931. What a treasure we both have!
    ~Sue

  1. kim said...:

    I have this cookbook. I got a really good copy in an antique store years ago. I love it!

  1. Wow Gail, As I mention in one of my comments previously, I have been slowing going through your posts' catching up and was shocked when I saw this book! I have the exact same book from my own maternal grandmother that she gave me many years ago. I remember she and my grandfather using this book many time for many a memorable meals. I have never know anybody else to have this lovely treasure so this is a wonderful post to see.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Terry

  1. Found this post again...whew...I wanted to see which recipe you featured:)
    Terry

  1. Lea Ann said...:

    I just got this cookbook from my Mom's collection. The one I have is published in 1936. I've been enjoying browing and then decided to Google it and ended up here. I really like the chutney recipe you posted. May have to give that one a try.

  1. Lea Ann said...:

    I just got this cookbook from my Mom's collection. The one I have is published in 1936. I've been enjoying browing and then decided to Google it and ended up here. I really like the chutney recipe you posted. May have to give that one a try.

  1. Lea Ann said...:

    I just got this cookbook from my Mom's collection. The one I have is published in 1936. I've been enjoying browing and then decided to Google it and ended up here. I really like the chutney recipe you posted. May have to give that one a try.

  1. Robin said...:

    I found this recipe book at my local Goodwill. It is in excellent condition and even has a few, hand written recipes tucked in the pages. I was thinking about selling it on Ebay but I think I will hang on to it.

  1. Susan Dixon said...:

    Oh my goodness. I have this book. My dear Grandmother used it Very often. I used to stand by her side on a chair and help/hinder her use of this wonderful cookbook. My copy is quite soiled on certain pages where she marked the pages with flour, a dot of vanilla and perhaps some egg also. I have been wistfully remembering the pies, cakes, puddings and breads she would make. After school, some days, I would go into her kitchen and she would have some fresh baked Cherry Bread with warm butter. At Halloween she would make many dozen Popcorn Balls from this book and recently one of the grown men (kids) from her block asked me if I had the recipe for these delicious treats. She, would wrap them in wax paper and distribute them to kids in the neighborhood. My Grandfather would stand at the door with a towel on his head with Grandma's white powder on his face....take out his false teeth and greet each child with a gentle scare. Oh thank you for your posts. I have delighted in each one.

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.