Asparagus AGAIN!

Friday, April 30, 2010


So you may be growing weary of me posting about asparagus. I know, I'm sounding like a broken record (showing my age with that comment) but we love asparagus and with so much available, we are eating it a lot. I am showing some restraint though and I'm blanching and freezing some for later in the year. YUM!!



Beef & Asparagus Stir-Fry
(Printable Version)

1-1/2 lb sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup Hoisin sauce
2 Tbsp dry sherry
1 tsp chili oil
1/4 cup peanut oil
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
3/4 lb slender asparagus, trimmed and cut on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Steamed rice for serving

Lightly season the beef with salt and black pepper. In a small bowl, stir together the Hoisin sauce, sherry, chili oil and 1/2 cup water. Set aside. In a wok or large fry pan over high heat, warm the peanut oil. Working in batches if needed to avoid crowding, add the beef and cook, turning once or twice, until lightly seared, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate. Add the onion and asparagus to the pan and cook until tender-crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and stir-fry for 15 seconds. Return the meat and any juices from the plate to the pan, add the Hoisin mixture and stir well. Simmer briefly until heated through. Divide the rice among shallow bowls, top with beef and asparagus, and serve immediately. Serves 4.

Visit Michael's Foodie Friday for TONS of great recipes and food inpiration!



17 comments:

  1. Debbie said...:

    Well don't stop. I will copy down any asparagus recipe that you toss out. I think I might try it with Vidalias (onions I mean)during their season too. Don't you think that would be good?

  1. I love asparagus...my husband will eat it, but doens't love it. He would be boycotting by now! This is something different. I'm not big on beef stirfry...I usually do chicken. I wonder how it would taste that way?

  1. Jennifer said...:

    I wish I had a friend that grew asparagus I lllooooovvvveeee it! So NO I will not get tired of hearing about it or recipes for it! Thanks, love your blog, Jennifer - stop by jennsthreegraces

  1. LDH said...:

    What a delicious looking dish! Wow!

  1. Lynnie said...:

    I have never grown asparagus.. but hope to next time around. We have way too much going on to have had a large garden this year.. but we did get a small one in!! I love the pics of your freshly grown asparagus! I so need some good recipes for asparagus dishes, my family has grown bored (if you will) of simply having them steamed with some butter and garlic.

  1. I love asparagus, I wish I had room to grow it here! Congrats on the Gooseberry Patch! wow.
    I am glad you stopped by an entered the Facebook giveaway. good luck!

  1. Country Gal said...:

    I wish my asparagus patch was five times bigger than it is! All of your recipes look wonderful!

  1. Betty said...:

    I love asparagus. I have a few asparagus that just grow to ferns. I have had maybe three stalks at on time. Thank you for stopping by to visit me at My Cozy Corner. Bless you
    xo
    Betty

  1. farmlady said...:

    I just made a copy of this because it sounds wonderful and I love asparagus.
    Thanks for dinner Sunday night and leftovers on Monday. The Prospector will be gone and I can make two dinners out of it.

  1. Cindy said...:

    MMMMMMmmmmm, I will be trying this recipe. It looks delish and I know my family would like it!

  1. Diann said...:

    Oh, I can read all those ingredients and just close my eyes and taste this dish! YUM!!

  1. LOoks good, but I would have to make the recipe with another vegetable, like broccoli, instead. Not an asparagus fan.

  1. Marie said...:

    You can never have too much Asparagus in my opinion and this is asparagus season. Recipe looks fabulous! xxoo

  1. Oh dear, I haven't eaten breakfast yet and this is making my stomach growl. Little question - can you use another oil besides peanut oil? Thanks!

  1. Gail, yummy.....this looks too delicious. Just my kind of dish. Thank you!

    Happy Sunday.

    Barb ♥

  1. Nazarina A said...:

    This is one heck of a tasty dish and just love that little bit of red pepper flakes at the end to give a slight spicy flavor

  1. Kim said...:

    This looks wonderful! I wish I had some right now! I'm so glad I stopped by.

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.