Skillet Suppers~Pan Roasted Chicken w/Pan Gravy

Monday, April 26, 2010


Another installment in my Skillet Suppers segment. My favorite supper is always built around a roasted chicken. You can pair just about anything on the side and have a feast of a meal. Cast iron skillets are perfect for dishes that you want to start browning on the stovetop and then transfer to the oven to finish. The best part of a roast chicken supper is the leftovers!




Pan-Roasted Chicken w/Pan Gravy

1 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1-1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 3-1/2-pound chicken, giblets removed
1 tsp peanut oil
2 tsp butter, softened, divided
2 tsp all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp minced fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish

Preheat oven to 400°F. Mash garlic and salt into a paste in a small bowl, using the back of a spoon. Stir in pepper and thyme. With a sharp knife, remove any excess fat from chicken. Dry the inside with a paper towel. With your fingers, loosen the skin over the breasts and thighs to make pockets, being careful not to tear the skin. Rub the garlic mixture over the breast and thigh meat. Heat oil and 1 teaspoon butter in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning often, until nicely browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast the chicken until the internal temperature in the thickest part of the thigh reaches 165°F, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board; tent with foil. Meanwhile, mash the remaining 1 teaspoon butter and flour in a small bowl until a paste forms. Place the pan (use caution, the handle will be hot) over medium-high heat. Add broth and bring to a simmer, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Gradually whisk in the butter-flour paste a few bits at a time, until the gravy thickens, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes, allowing any fat to rise to the top. Skim off the fat with a spoon. Carve the chicken and serve with the gravy. Garnish with parsley, if desired.

Posting to Lisa's Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. Lots of wonderful recipes posted there.



19 comments:

  1. farmlady said...:

    And when is dinner tonight? We will be over shortly.
    This sounds wonderful. Alas, we had BBQ Chicken last night and have leftovers tonight so I guess we have had our portion of Chicken for a few days. Do you ever have Polenta with your chicken? It's Italian, cooked corn meal. I was raised on it and it's good with gravy.

  1. Oh, this would make the house smell so great! I generally use rosemary with my roasted chicken, I'll try yours next time.

  1. Mrs. P- I have never browned a chicken on the top of the stove, but I can see how it would make the outside very crisp. Yummy. I love your skillet supper segments!
    Yvonne

  1. Brenda said...:

    I don't use my iron skillet very often but this kind of inspires me.

  1. Marie said...:

    That chicken looks amazing! I wonder if I could sneak an iron skillet back in my suitcase when I visit Canada this summer? hmmm . . .

  1. Lynnie said...:

    This chicken looks cooked to perfection!! We do a roasted chicken in a cast iron dutch oven.. excited about trying this too!!

  1. We will all be over too! Looks great! Love the iron skillets too, I cook eggs in them almost every morning.

  1. Kathleen said...:

    This sounds like some mighty delicious chicken!

  1. Sharon said...:

    This sounds wonderful Gail! Hmmm, peanut oil, I never would have thought to use it for roasted chicken, I bet it's yummy! Thanks for sharing :) I am making your Barbecued Beef Short Ribs andBbeans today, my honey LOVES that recipe!

    Have a glorious day in Him!
    Sharon

  1. DarcyLee said...:

    I have never heard of browning the chicken before putting it in the oven. My hubby will love this trick!

  1. Kerin said...:

    Scooch over..I'm coming to dinner :)
    Sounds yummy!
    I found your cute blog, and love it.
    I will have to come back and read the whole thing!
    Just noticed a bit of asparagus popping up in the garden this afternoon.
    Can't wait to have some !
    Have a wonderful day!

  1. Good thing I had a nice filling dinner tonight. Otherwise I'd be drooling all over this computer. Your asparagus quiche looks divine and so does this chicken. Yummy inspiration!

  1. Mimi said...:

    Delicious dinner. I'll have to try browning my chicken before roasting.
    Mimi

  1. Iris said...:

    That chicken looks delicious! I tend to overcook meat, so I need to take some lessons from you.

  1. Cindy said...:

    Oh, that sounds delicious! Hmmm, brown the chicken before roasting? I'll try it :)

  1. Cathy said...:

    I must try browning the chicken your way. I imagine it produces a wonderful skin. Roast chicken is always a hit at my table.

  1. Yum! Looks/sounds delicious! My mother and grandmother always cooked with cast iron skillets.

    Katherine

  1. You're so right about a roasted chicken. You can do so much with such a simple prepared meat for the meal. I'm hungry now Gail, thanks a lot. This recipe sounds just too good, as all of your recipes. Thank you for another great idea.

  1. Tricia said...:

    Wow, do you really have that many iron skillets? We have several, but not that many! I love using the small (maybe six-inch?) ones to cook cornbread. We have six that size -- love 'em! Thank you for your comment on my tablescape yesterday!

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.