Cream Can Suppers

Friday, July 30, 2010
I am still a bit MIA. Sorry! I promise there will be LOTS of new posts coming after I get this party (next weekend) behind me.

I haven't talked much about my weightloss journey. I have lost and regained the same weight a few times in the last 20 years. I am hoping this time to take it off FOREVER. If you've noticed my new picture, my dear daughter insisted my blog needed a new picture to reflect the 45lb loss this year. I still have about the same amount to lose but I am encouraged by the results I'm seeing.

(me at an event I catered in February 2010)

I also noticed some new followers. WELCOME!! I am always thrilled to *meet* new friends.

Today I thought I'd share about a Nebraska thing...The Cream Can Supper! The Cream Can Supper is the Nebraska Farm Country cousin to the New England Boiled Dinner or Low Country Crab Boil. No boiling or crabs involved, in fact, you'll most likely find Kielbasa but the concept is nearly the same except, you are steaming and not boiling the food. You use a cream or milk can and starting at the bottom, layer clean rocks, corn on the cob, in the husks, and whatever wonderful garden veggies you'd like (cabbage, new potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, squashes, etc.,) and end with the meat of your choice (again, here it is likely to be Kielbasa). Pour beer over, cap the can (needs to have a vent hole) and put it on a heat source (propane burner, gas BBQ or camp fire) and cook away for about an hour. When done, carefully uncap and pour the contents out onto a large, paper-lined table. Doesn't that sound like a great party? I am considering adding this to my catering enterprise.

You can read more about Cream can suppers at barbequelovers.com.


Here is an interesting video from the company that will be demonstrating their cans at a local event here in Hastings, NE in August.



Linking up to Michael Lee's Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!

18 comments:

  1. This is the coolest thing, thanks for sharing it and CONGRATS on the weight loss..... I so understand. I keep debating whether or not to open that can of worms on my blog. ugh

  1. Dani said...:

    wow..never heard of this out here in California..thanks!

  1. Sheila said...:

    Congratulations on the weight loss!! The Cream Can Supper sounds very interesting. I'm from Louisiana and that is how we have our crawfish or shrimp boils. Have a wonderful weekend.

  1. Congratulation on your recent weight loss! I am on the same journey as you are. I have lost 20 lbs and have much more to go, but the scale is going in the right direction!

    I love your cream can recipe. I have never heard of it befure. Isn't regional food so facinating! I love how it originates and how people have made it over the years.

    Wonderful and informative posts!
    Yvonne

  1. This is very cool...thanks so much for sharing.

    As someone who is always trying to lose a few ponds, I appreciate your candor. Keep up the good work. And congratulations on your new followers~that's always a good feeling! :-)

    xoxo
    Jane

  1. Yay on the weight loss! My mother is doing the same thing, and I'm SO proud. You are doing great.

    I also love the idea of the cream can dinner. I've always thought the crab version was a neat idea, but I hate seafood! Kielbasa sounds much more like my style. I wonder where I could get a can...

  1. I have never heard of a "cream can supper" here in Missouri, but I think it is VERY COOL! I think this would be a great idea for a get together with family and friends.

    Your weight loss is awesome! Kudos to you for living HEALTHY! You can do it!!!

  1. Congrats on the weight loss...it is so hard to do. I've picked up a few stress pounds over the past few months, I really need to get them off now.

    I'm sure this can supper would be delicious. I would want it to be a new, clean can...but, then I'd do it in a heartbeat!

  1. DarcyLee said...:

    I've never heard of the cream can supper out here in Indiana but what a great way to feed a crowd! Congratulations on your weight loss. I know how hard it is to do. Have a great weekend.

  1. Barbara said...:

    Yes we have had that before, and it very good, some call it hobo stew too, hugs my friend

  1. Cathy said...:

    I've never heard of Cream Can Supper here in the Pacific Northwest. It looks delicious and a very fun way to feed a group.

    Congratulations on your weight loss. Way to go!

  1. arkie said...:

    I had never heard of a creamed can supper! Congratulations on your weight loss!!!! I struggle too!

  1. Hi Gail, I'd be interested in hearing about your weight loss story...as you feel comfortable sharing. I need to do that so I can be healthier. Oh, I love your photo...you're a beautiful lady with a beautiful smile :) :) I love people who smile :) :) I've never heard of a creamed can supper till now either. This is interesting.

    Oh this is totally random, but on your header..off to the side with the old farmhouses...the one in the m iddle for some reason always makes me think of the movie "The Trip to Bountfiul"..I love that hymn that you hear in the background.."Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling..."..anyway, those houses are so "tired looking"...but hauntingly beautiful at the same time :) :)

    Have a great weekend. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

  1. Marie said...:

    Congrats on the weight loss! That is quite an accomplishment! I am on the same journey and hoping to keep it off myself. I, like you, have lost and gained it many times!! Love the idea of a cream can supper! Fabulous!

  1. Diann said...:

    Hi Gail!

    Congrats on the weight loss! I can completely relate to the lose this much, gain this much back roller coster!

    We love to cook this way. We will be doing a similiar dinner this next week at the campground for our "reunion".

  1. Sherry said...:

    Congrats on the weight loss. Your supper is very unique! Thanks for posting. Thanks for stopping by.
    Sherry

  1. Kathleen said...:

    That was really interesting, I had never heard about that before! Did I miss it, or was there no spices added?
    Best of luck on the weight loss, I have made that same journey many times over! It is a tough road!

  1. basketsbyrose said...:

    Love the idea of cooking in a milk can! Please let us know how this works out for you.

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.