Blue Ribbon Recipes ~ Ranch Rolls

Monday, July 19, 2010


A ribbon winner from my favorite fair….the Minnesota State Fair. This yummy recipe was entered into the 2009 fair by Sharon Johnson of Columbia Heights, MN. For the “Bake for the Cure” Contest, she decked out her bread with messages about breast cancer awareness. This recipe took a 1st place ribbon and has become a family favorite at our house! Congratulations, Sharon!!



Ranch Rolls

4-1/2 cups all purpose flour
2-1/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast
1 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
1/2 tsp salt
2 beaten eggs
2 (1 oz) pkts ranch salad dressing mix
1 tsp dill weed
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup dill weed
1 beaten egg white

In large mixing bowl stir together 2 cups of flour and yeast. In medium saucepan heat and stir milk, sugar, butter, and salt until just warm (120 to 130 degrees F) until butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to dry mixture along with eggs, ranch dressing mix and dill weed. Beat with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour. Turn dough out on lightly floured surface. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes until smooth and elastic. Shape into a ball and place in lightly greased bowl. Turn once. Cover and let rise in warm place until double in size (about an hour). Punch dough down. Turn out on lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape into rolls and place on greased pan. Brush the beaten egg white on top of rolls. Stir together sesame seeds, parmesan cheese, pecans, and dill weeds and sprinkle on top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes). Bake in 375 degree oven for 12 – 15 minutes. Remove from pan, cool on wire rack. Makes 24 to 32 larger rolls or about 48 smaller rolls.

Posting to Lisa's Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. Thanks for hosting Lisa!

Adding to Michael Lee's Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum.

23 comments:

  1. Sheila said...:

    Those look so yummy.I love anything with dill. I wish I wasn't scared of yeast!!

  1. Karen said...:

    Oh my these sound scrumptious! Like Sheila.. I am afraid of yeast, but I might just give this a try.
    Thanks for sharing this.
    Love your blog.
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

  1. These look and sound so yummy!! I love state fairs!

    xoxo
    Jane

  1. Darcy said...:

    Love your blog--those rolls look delicious!

    Thanks for sharing! I'm looking forward to reading more :)

    http://chiccollegecowgirl.blogspot.com/

  1. Julie Harward said...:

    Looks like a real good recipe..thanks! :D

  1. Ooo...there are good things in these rolls!

  1. I love homemade bread and rolls :):) :) :) Yum...I can just imagine eating these with some nice butter :) :) :) I used to make mini sandwiches with rolls!! Thanks for sharing this recipe :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

  1. Cathy said...:

    I was planning to bake bread tomorrow but I'll be making these rolls instead. My gosh, this recipe sounds good, and I love that yummy topping.

  1. Debbie said...:

    I'm not afraid of yeast, and I think they look and sound delicious! No wonder it's a blue ribbon recipe!

  1. LDH said...:

    Oh, yes, I can see just how delicious these babies are!!! Thanks for sharing!

  1. Jerri said...:

    I'm totally intrigued! I love homemade bread, and ranch flavored? Sounds really yummy!

  1. These sound delish! I'm saving this recipe to definitely try!! :D Thank you for sharing!

  1. OH, I bet that ranch mix really makes them yummy! What do you like to serve these with?

  1. Gayle...I am serving them tonight with BIG salads with grilled chicken. Very yummy :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

  1. I can't even imagine how these taste...ranch in a roll? That's really cool!

  1. Beth said...:

    That sounds really good, Gail! I am enjoying perusing your Blue Ribbon Recipes series - what a great idea! Hope all is well with you and that you are enjoying your summer!
    Blessings, Beth

  1. Brenda said...:

    These look really yummy, I can see why they won

  1. Hi Gail, these are so delicious looking. Thanks for the recipe.

    Have a blessed and happy day!

    Hugs, Barb ♥

  1. Pam said...:

    They look delicious and deserved a blue ribbon for sure. A must try! I'm new here and so glad to have found your great blog!

  1. What a wonderful recipe! I just signed up to follow your fantastic blog. I will be checking it often to see what other yummy recipes you have posted.

  1. Oh my, these rolls look good! Browsing over the list of ingredients has me convinced they are a must try - thank you!

  1. Kim said...:

    Wow, these look amazing, Gail!

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.