Blue Ribbon Recipes ~ Chocolate Raspberry Velvet Pie

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Fair Facts
*There are 3,000 state, county and regional fairs in the U.S.
*One hundred fifty million attend state and county fairs each year.
*The first state fair was the New York State Fair in 1841, in the village of Syracyse, NY.
*The first regional fair was held in Pittsfield, Massachusetts in 1807.
*The largest state fair is the Texas State Fair held in Dallas.

2009 1st Place Winner, Entered into the L.A. County Fair by Patricia Lapiezo of La Mesa, CA

Chocolate Raspberry Velvet Pie
Crust:
1 – 6 ounce package chocolate raspberry Milano cookies, finely ground
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Filling:
1 – 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 ounce Ghirardelli 60% Bittersweet Chocolate, chopped
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, stiffly beaten
Ganache:
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoon refrigerated chocolate coffee creamer
Garnish:
Sweetened whipped cream
Chocolate shavings
Fresh raspberries
For crust: Combine the cookie crumbs and melted butter. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie dish. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Set aside while preparing filling.
For filling: Beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla until well blended. Blend in Ghirardelli 60% bittersweet chocolate. Fold in whipped cream. Spread evenly over prepared crust. Refrigerate while preparing topping.
For ganache: Combine the cream, Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate and coffee creamer in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir continuously until chocolate is completely melted. Pour over top of filling. Refrigerate to set.
Pipe a border of sweetened whipped cream around edge of pie. Sprinkle with shaved chocolate. Place raspberries along inside edge of border.

Sharing at Lisa's Tempt My Tummy Tuesday!

16 comments:

  1. This does look really yummy!!!!...chocolate and raspberries :) :) :) Hugs, Heather :)

  1. Sandy said...:

    Yum!!!! I love Milano cookies. And I think I saw this pie on display at the LA County Fair, last year.

  1. Sharon said...:

    Every year I keep saying that I will enter some recipes in our County Fair, I really need to do this. This recipe sounds wonderful Gail! Thanks for sharing :)

  1. Just might have to try this one! I enter my photography in the fair every year, always fun. Did you get your giveaway book yet?

  1. Wow! I bet that is absolutely delicious! I love the Milano cookies!

    Katherine

  1. Joyce said...:

    This sounds sinfully delicious.
    Joyce

  1. Julie Harward said...:

    This looks so good to me...thanks for sharing it! I just love county fairs, they are the best! :D

  1. Oh my gracious! Chocolate and raspberries are the best combo EVER! Those cookies are fabulous on their own, but in a pie? AMAZING! Can't wait to try this! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

  1. I just love entering food in the county fair - you are making me nostalgic!

  1. Debbie said...:

    Oh goodness, just look at the ingredients! You know it has to be fabulous just by what goes in. Yummmmmm.

    I haven't entered anything in the fair since I was a little girl.

  1. MyJourneyBack said...:

    Yummy. Can't to try. Thanks for sharing the fair facts. I have been to State Fair of Texas live outside Dallas. And I have been to a tiny county fair in Missouri. I liked Missouri best. Thanks again for sharing.
    Have a Blessed Week,
    Sherry

  1. Tiffanee said...:

    Yum! That sounds so delicious!! Save me a piece or maybe two!!

  1. Barbara said...:

    Oh wow Gail it sounds so very yummy, and loved the info about the State fairs too, hugs my friend, Barbara

  1. nancycreative said...:

    That pie sounds fantastic! Yum!

  1. What a great crust idea. I've got to enter a pie in the fair this year. I'm determined. :)

  1. Sandra said...:

    What a wonderful recipe to try! YUMMY I love the fair and all the fond memories of the Cache county fair where I grew up as a girl. I love the homemaking exhibits with the quilts, sewing, canning, baking and flowers. Every town in the county made a display about their city using fresh fruits and vegetables. They were pretty inventive.

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.