Skillet Suppers~Skillet BBQ Chicken

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Another installment in my Skillet Suppers segment. Skillet suppers are perfect for week night and busy night meals. We love BBQ Chicken and use the grill a lot this time of year BUT when I am in a hurry I reach for this recipe (you can even use your grills side burner to keep the heat outside. Serve some grilled veggies (we had grilled Patty Pan squash and onions) on the side. Very yummy!

Editing this post to tell you about a LODGE CAST IRON giveaway at Kristin's Delightful Country Cooking blog. She a fun gal, Gooseberry Patch fan and blogger of great recipes..... Be sure to visit her and get entered in!



Skillet BBQ Chicken

2-3 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
2/3 c ketchup
2/3 c water
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp celery seed
4 split chicken breasts, bone-in (I also use boneless/skinless breasts)

Heat oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Brown chicken pieces on each side. Remove and set aside. Sauté onion until tender. Stir in ketchup, water, vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, dry mustard and celery seed and bring to a boil. Add chicken skin side down, reduce heat to simmer and cook covered for 30 minutes. Turn chicken, cover and simmer an additional 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Spoon sauce over chicken and garnish with fresh, chopped parsley if desired. Serves 4-6.

Linking to Michael Lee's Foodie Friday!



9 comments:

  1. mouth watering! I love patty pan squash too. Aren't they fun!

  1. Karen said...:

    Hi Gail,
    Thanks for your visit today. I have checked out your blog as well and so enjoy seeing your antiques and recipes... and so much more. It's a busy day here so I'll have to return soon to do more looking but I see cloches and glass... two of my favorite things. That chicken looks scrumptious! I'll be back.
    Have a happy 4th of July,
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

  1. Looks delicious! Your sauce sounds similar to the BBQ sauce I make.

  1. Jeanette said...:

    I love skillet suppers and pan squash. I wish I had planted some cause I rarely find it at the farmers market. Happy 4th

  1. HI...My name is Heather...and I can't remember how I first heard about your blog...BUT I did see you mentioned in "Delightful Country Cookin'..."..and you had great tips for using cast iron to cook with...so I thought I'd check it out. Your blog is really neat...so I decided to "follow" it :) :) Have a great 4th of July weekend. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :) :) :)

  1. Debbie said...:

    Bingo! I have chicken thawed to grill tonight, the husband is busy. I'm going to change gears and fix this intead.

    Better get cracking. It' already after 6:00

    THANKS!

  1. Tracy F. said...:

    Hi Gail- The chicken sounds delicious! My kind of recipe---quick and easy! Can't wait to try it.

  1. This recipe looks fabulous! I just love this series...

  1. Kathleen said...:

    That sounds wonderful! So does the velvet pie!
    I sang the Star Spangled Banner every teaching day of my 33 yr career. No one got promoted without learning it first! :)
    I have had computer probs again, so I haven't been able to visit!

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.