Cast Iron Cooking~Apfel Pfannekuchen

Thursday, September 16, 2010

German Pancake or Dutch Babies, whatever you call this wonderful dish, it is perfect for quick suppers or weekend breakfasts & brunches. This version has become a fall favorite in our house over the years.


German Apple Pancake (Apfel Pfannekuchen) aka Dutch Babies
(Printable Version)

6 cooking apples, cored, thinly sliced
1/3 stick butter
1/3 cup sugar
Freshly grated nutmeg
6 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1 cup milk

In an 8-inch cast iron skillet, melt butter and saute sliced apples; add sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg (to taste) and cook slowly until sugar is melted and apples begin to soften. In the meantime, mix eggs, vanilla, flour and milk; pour liquid over apples. Bake for 20-30 minutes in pre-heated oven at 375°F until puffed and done in center.

Posting to Michael Lee's Foodie Friday!

16 comments:

  1. Karen said...:

    This looks absolutely delicious. I've copied the recipe and hope to use it soon. Looks like a great Fall recipe.
    Have a great weekend!
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

  1. Anita said...:

    That looks really, really yummy! I love anything with apples this time of year too!

  1. DarcyLee said...:

    The perfect fall recipe for a special breakfast or brunch! Looks so impressive.

  1. Wow, that looks delicious!! Yummy.

  1. Oh, yum...I love German pancakes...but I usually call them "Dutch Babies" more often because the name makes me laugh :P) :) :) :) Yummy, yummy pancake!!! Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

  1. That looks delicious! Never had one, but I will have to try it. Are you submitting this recipe to Gooseberry Patch's latest contest?

  1. Heather...I LOVE the name Dutch Babies too...so cute!

    Kristen...Already submitted...wish me luck :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

  1. this looks delish, i have not made one in a long time, will have to fix that soon!

  1. mmm never made this....also would like to try abelskiever once too. it is prob spelled wrong and spell check doesn't have a clue either! have a great day.

  1. It has been way too long since I made one of these. I have some nectarines in the fridge, think I will make this later today for my dinner. Comforting and soothing...yummy!
    Thanks for sharing.

    Barb

  1. Pioneer Beauty said...:

    I wish I could come over and take Cast Iron Cooking lessons from you... : )...Is it true that Lard is good for Seasoning Cast Iron..?

  1. I've been making a fun Dutch Baby from joythebaker.com, I love the idea of this one with the apples-I will make this-thanks:@)

  1. THE OLD GEEZER said...:

    I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You ~Ron

  1. Maggie B said...:

    Hi Gail,
    Your recipe looks and sounds delicious and brought back happy memories of the years we spent living in Bavaria. Pfannekuchen were always a favourite of mine.

  1. I'm going to have to break down and get a cast iron skillet. I had one, but I rarely used it and it got rusty so I was afraid to eat out of it. You make so many yummy things in yours!

  1. Judith Riddle said...:

    Wow! Love your blog. Very creative. And the food and recipes look delish!!

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.