Cast Iron Cooking~Nutty Skillet Granola

Wednesday, September 22, 2010


Something NEW...take a look at my page tabs. There is now a Recipe Index tab. I am working at getting all my posted recipes in there so you can search and find more easily.

Breakfast and cast iron skillets just go together. When I think of the two, I see images of crisp bacon, fat sausages and fluffy scrambled eggs. Maybe even pancakes but have you ever considered making granola in a cast iron skillet? I hadn't either until recently. What a wonderful granola this is!! Please note that the nuts and dried fruits can be changed around according to your tastes. I made 2 batches this last weekend. One with golden raisins and one with dried apples.



Nutty Skillet Granola
(Printable Version)

1 cup quick rolled oats
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup real maple syrup
3/4 cup light-brown sugar, lightly packed
1 cup raisins

In a large bowl, combine both types of oats, almonds, walnuts, pecans and the wheat germ. Set aside. In a 12-inch skillet, place oil, maple syrup and brown sugar. Place pan over medium heat and stir constantly until the sugar is melted and the mixture just begins to bubble, about 3 minutes. Add the oat mixture and stir well to completely coat with the syrup mixture. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until granola begins to sizzle and toast, about 3 to 4 minutes. Be careful not to burn it. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the raisins. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Transfer the granola into a sturdy container with a tight-fitting lid. Serve immediately or let rest until cool enough to cover and store. Will keep for up to 2 weeks. Makes about 7 cups.

Posting this to Rednesday @ Sue's It's A VERY Cherry World. I LOVE red and it does dominate my world. I hope to post to this event more often! I will also be linking up to Michael Lee's Foodie Friday!

28 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love your skillet series.

  1. Melody said...:

    Love cast iron! Believe me I was one of those..
    'Eeeeww it'll get grungy...burn...new is better..' Well, I got my Grandma's egg pan (over 60 years old) and I am now the proud owner of a cast iron set and it cleans up like a dream. It is the pre-seasoned set from Lodge. If you haven't had green beans and ham or beef stew from a cast iron Dutch Oven
    well, ya haven't tasted home cooked;)

  1. Every time I read one of your great recipes, I vow to get a cast iron skillet! I'm not a granola fan, but this looks delicious! Thanks, Gail!

    xoxo
    Jane

  1. Cindy said...:

    This is a must try! Thanks.

    CIndy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

  1. Diane said...:

    Lovvve using cast iron. Thanks for the recipe for the granola.

    Also, thanks for visiting me over at Pittpat Paperie and leaving the nice comment about my Halloween Parfait Ü

  1. Pioneer Beauty said...:

    This sounds like a great project for the Children...to get invloved in..Thanks for Consoladating all your great recipes..We have Mostly all cast iron..but I need to locate that great Pizza Pan we love making Homemade Pizza and I use the Standard Pizza pans from the store..but was looking at some of your past post and Feasted My Eyes on your Cast Iron one..So I will soon be on the hunt for it...

    Also..SO happy your going to join the Apron Swap...it sounds like fun..it's my first time.

  1. Mica said...:

    somebody scream YUM!!! Thanks for sharing,Mica/The Child's Paper

  1. That granola sounds delicious and so easy to make!!

  1. ~~Carol~~ said...:

    I've never ever used an iron skillet, but my Grandma used to use one all the time! I've jotted down that recipe, because I love granola, and it would be nice to make batches that are tailor made to other people's tastes as well!
    Happy REDnesday!
    Carol

  1. nannykim said...:

    I am constantly using my iron skillets--I have 3 sizes plus a flat type with 1/4 inch sides. I love them and use them about ever day. So this recipe sounds good!

  1. I love homemade granola...even more with a little Greek yogurt under it! I've always slow baked mine, this looks so good.

  1. Audra said...:

    My family love granola and I have several lovely cast iron skillets willing and able to make this treat. Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to give it a try.

  1. Dawn said...:

    I think if my mom ever had to evacuate her home the cast iron skillets would be the firt thing she would grab!

  1. I love cast iron cooking and have a set of four different sized pans that I love. I never thought of making granola in them! What a great recipe and idea.

  1. Mmmm, I'll bet that smells wonderful! I may just try this version this week- thanks!
    xoxo Pattie

  1. sounds wonderful and good idea on your tabs!

  1. Gail, I LOVE granola. I have it almost every morning! I make StoneGable granola in the oven, and never thought of making it in a cast iron skillet. That would be so delicious. I will certainly try the cast iron method when my jar of granola runs low. OUr recipes are almost identical.
    Thanks for the great post, my friend.
    Yvonne

  1. Jacqueline said...:

    What a great way to up the iron content of granola and make it even more healthy - so healthy it might kill me!!! I love this idea. I have such fond memories of my mother's cast iron skillets and love the fact that things are healthier from them. Wish I had this ready for breakfast tomorrow, but then I wouldn't wait, I would be having a handful right now, wouldn't I.

  1. Sandy J said...:

    I like this idea. I make granola all the time but in the oven. I'm definitely going to have to change things up. Thanks for sharing.

  1. Melynda said...:

    A great idea, thanks!

  1. This looks so good...I don't care for many recipes but this one looks exceptional!!!

  1. A cast iron skillet is just the best thing for almost anything. Your granola sounds fabulous. I will definitely give it a try. Hugs, Marty

  1. nancycreative said...:

    That sounds great! I love granola, and this sounds really easy!

  1. Beth said...:

    That granola sounds delicious, Gail! I like how easy it is, too. Hope all is well with you. Have a nice wknd!
    Beth

  1. YUMMY! My daughter has been making her own granola ever since she returned from her summer college class on a rural farm in Appalachia. They mostly cooked and ate what they grew themselves in the farm garden, but bought a few other organic items. What an adventure that was for her. And she has loved cooking ever since.

  1. Julie said...:

    Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog! So nice to meet a blogger from Nebraska, I don't run across too many out there! You have a beautiful blog! I will be back to visit again soon. I love granola, this looks delicious.

  1. Rhondi said...:

    Hi Gail
    Thanks for stopping by. It's great to meet you. I've never thought of making my own granola. Looks good!!
    Hugs, Rhondi

  1. Aliene said...:

    I love cask iron. Have dutch oven that I can use on top of stove or in oven, several size skillets, corn bread stick pan, and several other pieces. I love to cook in them. Love your blog.

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.