From The Hymnal~O Little Town Of Bethlehem

Saturday, November 27, 2010


“Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you shall come for Me One who will be Ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times.” Micah 5:2

I am starting my CHRISTmas From The Hymnal posts with one of my most favorites, O Little Town Of Bethlehem.

O Little Town Of Bethlehem

O little town of Bethlehem, how still we see thee lie!
Above thy deep and dreamless sleep the silent stars go by.
Yet in thy dark streets shineth the everlasting Light;
The hopes and fears of all the years are met in thee tonight.

For Christ is born of Mary, and gathered all above,
While mortals sleep, the angels keep their watch of wondering love.
O morning stars together, proclaim the holy birth,
And praises sing to God the King, and peace to men on earth!

How silently, how silently, the wondrous Gift is giv’n;
So God imparts to human hearts the blessings of His Heav’n.
No ear may hear His coming, but in this world of sin,
Where meek souls will receive Him still, the dear Christ enters in.

Where children pure and happy pray to the blessèd Child,
Where misery cries out to Thee, Son of the mother mild;
Where charity stands watching and faith holds wide the door,
The dark night wakes, the glory breaks, and Christmas comes once more.

O holy Child of Bethlehem, descend to us, we pray;
Cast out our sin, and enter in, be born in us today.
We hear the Christmas angels the great glad tidings tell;
O come to us, abide with us, our Lord Emmanuel!



Sharing for the FIRST time at Spiritual Sunday!



13 comments:

  1. Garden Girl said...:

    I love this hymn. I'm wondering if this is sung by Evie as in Evie Tornquist? I had one of her albums growing up and just loved it! I also have a copy of the red Great Hymns of the Faith hymnal.

  1. Absolutely beautiful. I love the picture of the old farm house. It reminds me of the one my husband grew up in in Stella, Ne. Thank you for swinging by to leave such a sweet comment. I hope you and yours had a fantastic Thanksgiving. hugs ~lynne~

  1. Jackie said...:

    Oh, I love this hymn also. Like Garden Girl said, I was so thrilled to once again hear Evie singing. I also had several of her albums and have often wondered if she has any CD's as I miss her music. Thanks for the great post!

  1. Beautiful, and so full of truth. I too, love this Christmas song.
    What a wonderful way to start the Christmas season.
    xo Yvonne

  1. NanE said...:

    Great post. I love how you chose the Scripture that fits the hymn too.

  1. Debbie said...:

    This has been a favorite Christmas hymn for years for me. As a child, I didn't like it nearly as much as I do now. The words are absolutely inspired.

    This is my favorite part:

    "Where children pure and happy pray to the blessèd Child,
    Where misery cries out to Thee, Son of the mother mild;
    Where charity stands watching and faith holds wide the door,
    The dark night wakes, the glory breaks, and Christmas comes once more."

  1. Donnie said...:

    That was lovely. Have a blessed day.

  1. Sue said...:

    Beautiful post, I always enjoy Evie. Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings, Sue

  1. I love this song as well. I love your hymn books, they are beautiful. Thank-you so much for sharing your post with us today.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

  1. Oh, I love Christmas praise and worship music! Thank you! And CONGRATS on your inclusion in the cookbook! :)

  1. Charlotte said...:

    This is one of the first Christmas carols I remember. There are a lot of new songs in the past few years, but the old ones are wonderful. Thank you for sharing this one. I'm so glad you chose to share with us on Spiritual Sundays.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

  1. Marcia said...:

    Gail, I love this post. Thank you for reminding me of that little song!

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.