Cast Iron Cooking ~ Pumpkin Doughnut Muffins

Monday, November 1, 2010

Last week I received my November 2010 issue of Everyday Food. I've shared before that our family tradition is to make (and eat) muffins for Sunday morning breakfast. It simply wouldn't be Sunday without muffins (well, occasionally I do get away with making scones or a coffeecake). When I flipped thru the magazine, I knew I would be making the Pumpkin Doughnut Muffins featured on page 112.

Years ago, my sweet family purchased for my birthday a lovely Griswold cast iron muffin pan. They knew I'd love it. Not just love it, but use it...OFTEN. It gets a workout most every Sunday morning. If you've never baked in cast iron, I have to share that it is simply the best....much better than other muffin tins.


A very nice sized muffin cup. Small, but not a mini-muffin. There is also only 11 cups...not a dozen or even a baker's dozen.


Pumpkin Doughnut Muffins
(Printable Version)
10 Tbsp butter, room temperature
3 c all-pupose flour
2-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/3 c buttermilk
1-1/4 c pure pumpkin puree
3/4 c light brown sugar
2 large eggs

sugar coating:
3/4 c granulated sugar
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 12 standard muffin cups. Make batter: In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and allspice. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and pumkin puree. In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping down bowl as needed. With mixer on low, add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions pumpkin mixture; and beat to combine.

Spoon 1/3 cup batter into each muffin cup and bake until a toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine granulated sugar and cinnamon. Let muffins cool 10 minutes in pan on wire rack. Working with one at a time, remove muffins from pan, brush all over with melted butter, then toss to coat in sugar mixture. Let muffins cool completely on a wire rack. Makes 12 muffins.



Sunday's breakfast was these WONDERFUL muffins and some lovely Orange-Spiced Tea. I bought some while visiting the Mennonite store in Wisconsin back in September. So yummy but I quickly went thru the small bag I brought home. I have made some of my own and it is just about as good as the one I bought. I plan to use some of this for holiday gift giving. It will make great hostess gifts.

The tea was the perfect compliment to the muffins. Oh, and the muffins have a dense texture very similar to an old-fashioned cake donut....I understand the name!



Orange Spiced Tea
(Printable Version)

3 large navel oranges
1 (8 oz.) pkg. loose black tea leaves
1-2 stick cinnamon sticks
2 tsp. whole cloves

Remove thin bright colored rind from each orange with sharp knife (no white); cut into thin strips. Spread out on cookie sheet. Heat in very slow oven, 250°F for 10 minutes or just until rind is dry. Toss loose tea with orange rind. Break up cinnamon stick and whole cloves and add to tea mixture. Place in a jar and allow to sit for a couple of weeks for flavor development.



Posting to:
Kristin's THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS - Pumpkin Party
Lisa's Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Lady Kathrine's Tea Time Tuesday
Michael Lee's Foodie Friday

32 comments:

  1. Dani said...:

    Thanks for the recipe..I think I can convert it to sugar free with a little tweeking, my husband is diabetic.....looks so yummy and so does the tea..we are both tea drinkers, especially in the fall and winter...

  1. Gail, Your pumpkin donut muffins are making me drool! And your own mixed tea, now that's right up my alley!

    I am looking for a couple of muffin recipes I can make ahead and freeze to be used for company over Thanksgiving. I am certainly making these! WOW, they look wonderful. Could I have 2, please?
    Yvonne

  1. Julie Harward said...:

    I love this recipe too and have been using it, we love it! :D

  1. These look just wonderful!! And perfect with a cup of your tea! Thanks so much!

    Happy November!

    XO,
    Jane

  1. Gail the muffins sound great! Really interested in the homemade flavored teas though! So much of what we buy has additives and artificial flavors, what a great recipe:@)

  1. Olive Cooper said...:

    Thanks bunches. I am smitten with all things pumpkin! ♥O

  1. Debbie said...:

    We have always served muffins on Sunday morning too. These look simple delicious and really do remind me of doughnuts.

    I sure would love a cast iron muffin tin. How nice!

  1. Tammy said...:

    Oh wow, those sound really good!!! And tea, yum. It's getting quickly around here from noon to sun down. Tea is good all the time. Hugs. Tammy

  1. Pioneer Beauty said...:

    I am so HAPPY you have the Print Friendly Versions...These look delecious and the tea sounds delightful..
    Thank you for sharing..
    Oh I bought the Cast Iron Pizza Pan from Lodge..I will have to look into the Muffin Pan.
    Have a great week Gail..
    In Christ
    Angelina

  1. I love muffins, and I cannot wait to try these! Thanks for showing us this recipe, they look delicious!
    XOXO
    Joni

  1. These look wonderful! I might try them tomorrow for breakfast!

  1. Karen said...:

    Got to try this! They look so scrumptous. The perfect time of year for them.

  1. Lady Katherine said...:

    Oh, My! My mouth is watering! I want to taste these so much! Ah the Tea sounds wonderful too!
    Thank you for joining me for Tea Time! I do love to cook in cast iron, lucky you to have a cast iron muffin pan!

  1. Brenda said...:

    Those muffins sound pretty amazing. I bookmarked it to try later.

  1. Beth said...:

    Gail, Your muffins look really pretty. I'm sure they're delicious too. I also like orange flavored black tea and have purchased some from Lipton and also Hy Vee (store brand). Yours is a little more work, but how pretty and what a lovely Christmas gift! Thanks for sharing these with us.
    Blessings, Beth

  1. Lydia said...:

    These sound wonderful! I'm going to have to make them for my hubby (of course I wouldn't make them for myself-not!) who loves all things donuts.

  1. bj said...:

    Both of these sound absolutely delicious. I will sure give them a try...and I couldn't cook much of anything if something happened to my prized cast iron skillets...and I do have a cast iron muffin pan that belonged to my mama...:))

  1. Kathleen said...:

    Those muffins look delicious! And that is a very interesting pan too!

  1. GAIL!!! You're the winner of our Give Away-- The Barefoot Contessa's new cookbook.

    Please come on by my blog when you have a minute:

    http://onceuponaplate.blogspot.com/2010/11/congratulations-to-winner-of-barefoot.html

    xo~m.

    P.S. I've got the kettle on, you've got those fabulous muffins... we should have a tea party and invite all of our friends!! They look fantastic Gail, thank you for sharing.

  1. These look very YUMMY! Thanks so much for linking up to our PUMPKIN theme for This Week's Cravings

  1. Kristen said...:

    This whole post is just fantastic - the muffins, the pan, the tea!! Love it!

    And thank you for linking to This Week's Cravings!

  1. Gail,

    Thank you for stopping by today! I have my cast iron, but have only been using it for camping so far. I'm going to check it. I love your blog, and can't wait to explore it more.

    God bless,

    Kathy

  1. Diann said...:

    Hi Gail!

    Oh, those pumpkin muffins look wonderful! But, I am in love wih your muffin pan!! I have been sarching for a cast iron muffin pan for ages (of course, I am trying to find one at a thrifty price....like it is ever going to happen! LOL).

    and I will for sure be trying the tea recipe. I love to make my own teas and I haven't tried this recipe yet! thanks for sharing it.

  1. Miz Helen said...:

    I could just sit right down and have Tea with you. I love your tea blend and I would have to have one of your lovely muffins. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe's.
    Miz Helen

  1. Katherinellen said...:

    Gail,
    The pumpkin donut muffin look delicious...I will have to make some...THanks for sharin the recipe....and the Orange Tea recipe...I love orange flayor especially naval oranges. Thanks For stopping by...Have a wonderful day..Kathyerinellen

  1. Jami said...:

    I can't wait to try these. I love all things pumpkin! and the tea sounds wonderful this time of year!

  1. Michelle said...:

    OMGoodness! I have been on a pumpkin roll lately wanting to gobble up everything pumpkin. I am so going to have to try and make these too!

  1. Pattie T. said...:

    Those pumpkin doughnut muffins look great! I am trying them this weekend. I love pumpkin, and this is one recipe I've not tried.

  1. Wow, those pumpkin muffins look amazing! I really need to try these!
    I am your newest follower. Please check out my blog at ww.yellowpepperblog.blogspot.com.

    Blessings,
    Rebekah

  1. Lisa said...:

    Being pumpkin, these sound even more delicious than the regular doughnut muffins.

  1. Those muffins look amazing...thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

  1. pumpkin and donuts together - 2 of my favorite things. definitely going to whip up a batch of these soon! They remind me of Gesine Bullock-Prado's Golden Eggs. YUM !!

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.