From The Hymnal ~ Thanks to God

Saturday, November 20, 2010


Give thanks in all circumstances. 1 Thessalonians 5:18

I knew I wanted to do a hymn of thanksgiving for the weekend before the holiday. I had a couple of them in mind, but hadn't decided on just which one yet. Then tragedy struck. Last Monday night while my daughter and I were at dinner, she received a call with the news that a former boyfriend had done the unthinkable...he took his own life. To say the least, this has been a very difficult week. Lots of tears, lots questions, little sleep and terrible sadness. Please lift this young man's family and loved ones up in prayer. I cannot even imagine the pain they are enduring.

This hymn reminds me that we are supposed to give thanks in all of life's circumstances....even when it is difficult and we are hurting. I am very THANKFUL for the hope I have in Jesus!

Thanks to God

Thanks to God for my Redeemer,
Thanks for all Thou dost provide!
Thanks for times now but a memory,
Thanks for Jesus by my side!
Thanks for pleasant, balmy springtime,
Thanks for dark and stormy fall!
Thanks for tears by now forgotten,
Thanks for peace within my soul!

Thanks for prayers that Thou hast answered,
Thanks for what Thou dost deny!
Thanks for storms that I have weathered,
Thanks for all Thou dost supply!
Thanks for pain, and thanks for pleasure,
Thanks for comfort in despair!
Thanks for grace that none can measure,
Thanks for love beyond compare!

Thanks for roses by the wayside,
Thanks for thorns their stems contain!
Thanks for home and thanks for fireside,
Thanks for hope, that sweet refrain!
Thanks for joy and thanks for sorrow,
Thanks for heav’nly peace with Thee!
Thanks for hope in the tomorrow,
Thanks through all eternity!



13 comments:

  1. Denise said...:

    Dear heavenly father,hold this poor family in your arms.Only you can give them peace.A peace that they might not even understand.Bring them through these lost dark hours even closer to you .Amen

  1. Tammy said...:

    I am so sorry to hear of this. This breaks my heart every time I hear of someone choosing to miss out on all the joys life brings. I will pray for your daughters comfort. This is not easy to overcome. Many gentle hugs. Tammy

  1. I'm going to show this to my dad later today. He LOVES the old hymns and so do I...so much good wisdom there from earlier Christians :) :) Oh, miss you on Facebook. Will you be coming back? Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

  1. Dani said...:

    so deeply sorry to hear of this tragedy...so incredibly sad...you are all in my prayers and I know God will turn this around for good...He always does when we trust in Him.....
    the old hymns are so wonderful.....

  1. Olive Cooper said...:

    Being a former mental health nurse in a state prison where I have seen actual suicide victims I can apprciate to some small degree the terrible tragedy that happened. I will pray for comfort for this family. There is much joy in the old hymns. We attend a church with contempory music and I miss them at times.

  1. Oh no... this is so sad. The loss of any young person is just tragic!
    Saying prayers for his family and yours.

  1. Linda Stubbs said...:

    I am so sorry for you and your daughter.........I am praying for the young man's parents. What a hug tragedy! Life is so fragile is it not? What a sad thing for this to happen right before the holidays. Very precious post Gail and the words to the hymn..... are so powerful!

    Hugs to you and yours, Linda

  1. Gail....oh, I am so sorry....I went right to the hymn earlier and was so encouraged by the words, that I failed to notice the hurt that you experienced...I'm sorry sorry ( :( :( :( I'll be praying for that young man's family and for yours as well!!! Forgive me for not noticing this earlier...I realize that it made me sound insensitive and I'm so, so sorry :( :( I'll be praying for everyone involved!!! Love, Heather :)

  1. Dearest Mrs. P,
    I am so sorry for the heartache your family is going through and gireved for this young man's family. I am praying for all.

    Thank you for the beautiful hymn of Thanksgiving during this sad time.

    May God comfort all of you. And bless you for your faithful Thanksgiving to Him.
    xo Yvonne

  1. Pam said...:

    I am so sorry. What a tragedy to those left behind. I will pray for your daughter, your family and the boy's family.

  1. Marilyn said...:

    May God's love & comfort be with all who knew & loved this young man. I will keep everyone in my prayers. We almost lost our son in January ... my heart breaks for the family & friends.

  1. What a sad situation. I will keep your family and the boy's family in my prayers.

  1. Julie Harward said...:

    Ohhh, that is s sad. Too bad too, I wish such thing never happened. I will say a prayer for them. Great hymn too. Have a good Thanksgiving :D

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.