Cast Iron Cooking ~ GBP's Slow Cookers, Casseroles & Skillets & A Product Review

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Last year Gooseberry Patch published Slow Cookers, Casseroles & Skillets. With *SKILLETS* in the title, it got my full attention but for whatever reason, I didn't run out and buy it. I always meant to, but simply hadn't got around to it. Fast forward to this week and the blizzard of the century. I ran to our local Allen's Superstore in Hastings, NE and purchased this book. While everyone was standing in line with bread, milk and eggs (what they gonna make, French Toast, lol), I was in line with a new cookbook to read, review and cook from!


This book is EVERYTHING I've come to expect from Gooseberry Patch. Lots of wonderful recipes and commentary contributed by readers.....ALL the fabulous cooks from around the country. Since I am all about skillet and cast iron cooking, I mainly concentrated on the *Speedy Skillets* segment of the book. Speedy Skillets is divided into 3 catagories -- Just 5 Ingredients!, Easy Family Meals & One-Dish Dinners (actually ALL 3 segments are divided into these same 3 catagories...very clever). I asked my daughter to choose a recipe for us to try. She picked Easy Chicken Fettucine. The name is spot-on -- this is a very easy recipe. No fussy ingredients and received thumbs-up all around.


I am looking forward to diving into the other 2 segments of this book BUT I do not plan to wait until the next blizzard of the century. Thank you Gooseberry Patch for another GREAT book.

***Time SAVING Tip*** Whenever I cook boneless, skinless chicken (breasts or thighs), I cook twice the amount the recipe calls for. I refrigerate or freeze the excess and use for bullet-fast meals or as additions to salads and such. Always comes in super handy and takes no more time or effort that just cooking what the recipe calls for.

Easy Chicken Fettucine
(Printable Version)

8-oz pkg cream cheese, cubed
3/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 c butter, sliced
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 Tbsp oil
12-oz. pkg fettucine pasta, cooked (I used Dreamfield's Low Carb Linguine since they don't have fettucine)

Combine cheeses, butter and milk in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until cheese melt and mixture is smooth; keep warm.


In a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, cook chicken in oil until juices run clear, drain.

Add cooked pasta to skillet and top with cheese sauce; toss to mix well. Serves 6.
YUMM-O!!

I have shared before that I follow a low carb diet to control my weight. Basically, over the last year, I've made eating lower carb my lifestyle. That said, I was pretty sure I had kissed pasta goodbye FOREVER....then I discovered Dreamfields. I can eat pasta again....and it is wonderful. I find the price is in line with the major brands and our little town grocery carries it so I am supposing you can buy it anywhere, but if not, they do sell it on the website. If you are watching carbs and even if you are not, I highly recommend this product.



Sharing at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Full Plate Thursday, Foodie Friday and Potluck Sunday.

14 comments:

  1. Patty Sumner said...:

    Again, wonderful recipes and always a great new Goosberry book. I understand fully about reading recipe books. I do that all the time! The healthy carb pasta sounds interesting. I will have to check that out. Blessings and stay warm!

  1. Tina said...:

    Looks great Gail! I haven't cooked this recipe yet..looks like I'm going to have to get right on it...and soon!
    I love the pattern on the bowl you served it in. What brand and pattern is that if you don't mind me asking? I'm always in the market for new dishes!

  1. Looks like a great meal Gail! I shred a couple extra chicken breasts and froze them in a thin layer last week. Tonight I broke off just enough for a quesadilla and put the rest back in the freezer-worked great! Hope everyone is warm and safe in the snow:@)

  1. Oh this looks sooo delicious! I really should start watching my carbs because I am a carb lover and it has finally caught up w/me. Thanks for the tip on the pasta. I will have to copy this recipe also, it sounds like the kind of meals I like. I seriously hope you will stay safe and warm too! Take care!

  1. That looks really good and very easy :) :) Thanks for sharing the recipe. Yes, I've fallen in love with Gooseberry Patch cookbooks, too. They're really neat ;) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

  1. Olive Cooper said...:

    That is too cute...you in line with a cookbook and the blizzard on the way! I have not seen that pasta here but will look for it as I monitor my weight constantly.

  1. thecountrycook said...:

    That is definitely my kinda meal! Easy and not a lot of mess!! Perfect for a weeknight.
    Brandie

  1. I love the whole concept of cast iron cooking, but only have the 3 dutch ovens (1 indoor, 2 outdoor). I do think a large skillet or two would be a good investment. The fettucine does look good. Joni

  1. We knew you'd love that chapter, Gail...thanks so much for posting our recipe and sharing your kind words. Stay warm, friend!

  1. Debbie said...:

    I will definitely be on the lookout for that low carb pasta. Fettucine Alfredo is my favorite dish is the whole world. It would be my request for a last meal. I've had to nearly say good-bye to it because of diet, but if the pasta is low carb, then I can have all the other yummy stuff and enjoy it more often. Gotta get some!!

    And the whole dish looks delicious.

  1. Alison said...:

    This dish looks tasty! Pasta is a favorite in our house. Can't wait to try this recipe!

    stopping by from Miz Helen's!

  1. Miz Helen said...:

    Hi Gail,
    Easy and delicious how could you go wrong...I am having some of this. Thank you so much for bringing you Easy Chicken Fettucine to Full Plate Thursday. You have a great week end and please come back!

  1. Melynda said...:

    I have to try that pasta, I should google and see where it is sold in my town. You pasta looks wonderful. Thanks.

  1. Elsa said...:

    Yum! And the bowl in adorable!

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.