Cowboy Chili & Classic Corn Sticks

Tuesday, December 29, 2009
In an effort to clear out the leftovers from my refrigerator, I am making yet another soup from the leftover Christmas beef. Last weekend I made Beef Barley Soup which is a favorite around here but I still have a fair amount to finish using. I could go ahead and freeze the leftovers BUT I am following Yvonne from StoneGable's lead and am going to do my best to use up all that is lurking in my freezer instead of adding more to it. I figure by the end of January, I should be able to put a good dent in it. Somewhere along the way, I lost track of just what is in there. I used to do a pretty good job of keeping an inventory but that isn't the case today. I also am planning to work through my pantry in January too. So the only groceries I'll be buying will be fresh foods. I am really looking forward to the challenge.



Cowboy Chili
Country Living Magazine

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 pound boneless chuck or rum roast cut into ½-inch cubes
1 large onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans low-sodium beef broth
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 can diced low-sodium tomatoes
2 dried ancho chilies
1 Tbsp masa harina de maiz
1 c water
2 cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp cider vinegar

In a large Dutch oven, add oil and heat over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot but not smoking, add beef and cook until browned -- about 5 minutes. Remove beef, set aside, and reduce heat to medium. Add onion to the Dutch oven and sauté until translucent -- 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute. Return the meat to the Dutch oven. Gradually add 1 can beef broth and deglaze by scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the Dutch oven. Add chili powder, cumin, and tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. In a small saucepan over high heat, bring the remaining can of beef broth to a boil. Add ancho chiles and let stand 15 minutes to hydrate. Remove and discard stems. Place chili mixture and liquid in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth -- 2 to 3 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk the masa and water together. Stir masa mixture into the chili. Add ancho chili mixture, pinto beans, salt, and vinegar. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Serve hot.



Classic Corn Sticks

1/4 c vegetable oil
1 c stone-ground yellow cornmeal
1/2 c all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1-1/2 tsp salt
2-1/2 c buttermilk
2 eggs
1/4 c butter, melted

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Brush corn-stick pans with vegetable oil and place in oven -- about 10 minutes. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt. Using a wooden spoon, stir in buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter. Evenly divide the batter among the hot corn-stick molds, filling to 1/8 inch from the top. Bake in the middle of the oven -- about 10 minutes. Corn sticks are done when a skewer or toothpick, inserted in the center, comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack. Serve warm. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.

I'm posting to my faavorite Tuesday recipe events, Tasty Tuesday, Tempt Your Tummy Tuesday and Tuesdays at the Table. Thank you Jen, Lisa and Cole for hosting these lovely events each week. Check out ALL the great recipes posted.