Cranberry Almond Pistachio Pie

Monday, December 6, 2010


I am all about pie! It is my favorite dessert - - by FAR. I'd rather eat pie than most other foods and with a cup of coffee you really have the perfect meal. All that to say, I tried this wonderful pie recipe over Thanksgiving holiday and although I only sampled a bite (got to keep to my low carb eating plan), I can testify that it is WONDERFUL!

Cranberry Almond Pistachio Pie
(Printable Version)

1 cup craisins
1 cup water
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon molasses
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1/2 cup pistachios
1 uncooked flaky pie crust, bottom only

Heat the oven to 325° F. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the cranberries and water. Microwave on high for 1 minutes, or until very hot. Set aside to cool. Once cooled, drain and discard the water. In a medium pan over medium-high, heat the brown sugar, maple syrup, molasses, cream and butter until boiling. Remove from the heat. In a medium, heat-safe bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth. While whisking continuously, slowly pour the hot sugar mixture into the egg yolks, allowing the yolks to heat up gradually until the entire mixture is incorporated. Fit a single pie crust into a 8 or 9-inch cast iron skillet, trimming and crimping the edge. Sprinkle the almonds, pistachios and drained cranberries evenly into the pie crust. Pour the filling mixture over the nuts and cranberries, making sure they are evenly coated. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the filling is slightly puffed and the crust is golden. Serves 8.

Sharing at Lisa's Tempt Your Tummy Tuesday!

12 comments:

  1. Olive Cooper said...:

    I love anything with cranberries an then add nuts...yum.

  1. That looks so good, I could just reach out and take a bite right through the screen! The flaky crust to the filling, all looks delish!

  1. It looks very interesting! Two things I would not have thought to put together.

  1. Denise said...:

    I wonder if you could use whole cranberries instead of the craisins or would that change the consistency?

  1. Julie Harward said...:

    Oh wow...that looks divine! It has all my favorite ingredients in it and it sure does sound fattening but delicious! ;D

  1. Pam said...:

    Almonds and pistachios are two of my husband's favorite things to eat right now. I will have to make this for him for Christmas. Sounds awesome.

  1. Pat said...:

    Gail this looks delish. I love pie and coffee!

  1. Kathleen said...:

    That's a very interesting combo, and it looks delicious!

  1. wow this looks interesting, I love pie and cake and cookies and can not pick a favorite!!

  1. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog with your caring words. I am so sorry to hear of your loss also. I am always so sorry to hear of a young life being lost...so very senseless. :( It sure seems like many are dealing with losses this Holiday season and my heart goes out to all.

    That pie looks delicious! It contains everything I love. If I made it though I'd be the only one eating it as Bill probably would never touch it. On second thought...would that be a bad thing?....it would be alllll mine. ;)

  1. Jane said...:

    Gail, this sounds so rich and delicious! I am going to save the recipe, as I have to try it for Christmas.

    Jane
    frugalfineliving.com

  1. Betty said...:

    Hi Gail,
    Yes, I can eat dessert anytime. I would love to dessert for three meals in one day and see if I'm still alive, LOL. I love your blog and thanks for visiting My Cozy Corner. I love to read your comments.
    xo
    Betty

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.