Old-Fashioned Bake Sale ~ Pumpkin Cheesecake

Friday, November 25, 2011

Trusting that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day! Ours was so very nice. I do have to say that going into this week was a little daunting for someone who is trying to lose weight. I was careful when planning the menu to make sure there was plenty that I could enjoy -- and I did. My goal was to maintain this week. When I did my weekly weigh-in this morning, the scale reported a loss of 1.2 pounds - I AM THRILLED!

Instead of making pies this year, there was a request for Pumpkin Cheesecake *like they have a Olive Garden*. I love making cheesecake but never had attempted a pumpkin version. I poured over lots of different recipes - then my issue of MaryJanesFarm came in (LOVE that magazine - it TOTALLY *gets me*)....it featured a beautiful photo and recipe for pumpkin cheesecake - my search was over. Not only was it simple looking but I could easily see how I could tweek it low carb for me. I made both version. The cheesecake got rave reviews and my low carb version was positively wonderful. I am sharing both today :)

(so it would be just like Olive Garden, I served the cheesecake with a mound of whipped cream and drizzled with caramel sauce)

Pumpkin Cheesecake
MaryJanesFarm Magazine
(Printable Version)

Crust:
1-1/2 cups gingersnap crumbs (I used Anna's Swedish Ginger Cookies instead)
4 Tbsp butter, melted

Filling:
2 8-oz packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup half n'half
1 cup pumpkin puree
3/4 cup sugar
4 eggs, separated
3 Tbsp flour
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt

Topping:
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (my addition)

Preheat oven to 325°F. To prepare crust, combine crumbs with butter and press into bottom and 2" up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with electric mixer until soft; slowly add half n'half until mixture us smooth and fluffy. Add pumpkin puree, sugar, egg yolks, and next six ingredients; beat until smooth. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold egg whites into pumpkin mixture. Pour into prepared crust and bake until knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. In a small bowl, stir together sour cream, sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. Spread over cheesecake and bake 5 minutes longer. Remove from oven and let cook for 1/2 hour. Loosen sides of cheesecake from pan with a spatula. Cool 1/2 hour more. Remove sides of the pan and cool 2 hours longer. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Can be made 2 days in advance.

Gail's Low-Carb Version

1 8-oz package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup Truvia sweetener (you could use Splenda)
2 eggs, separated
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

Follow directions above for mixing - divide mixture evenly between 5 1-cup ramekins. Bake according to above. Allow to cool completely before refrigerating. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream sweetened with Truvia. Each ramekin is approximately 6 net grams of carbs and so VERY wonderful!

Posting to Michael's Foodie Friday and Kim's Sweet Indulgences Sunday!