Old-Fashioned Bake Sale ~ Pumpkin Cheesecake

Friday, November 25, 2011

Trusting that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day! Ours was so very nice. I do have to say that going into this week was a little daunting for someone who is trying to lose weight. I was careful when planning the menu to make sure there was plenty that I could enjoy -- and I did. My goal was to maintain this week. When I did my weekly weigh-in this morning, the scale reported a loss of 1.2 pounds - I AM THRILLED!

Instead of making pies this year, there was a request for Pumpkin Cheesecake *like they have a Olive Garden*. I love making cheesecake but never had attempted a pumpkin version. I poured over lots of different recipes - then my issue of MaryJanesFarm came in (LOVE that magazine - it TOTALLY *gets me*)....it featured a beautiful photo and recipe for pumpkin cheesecake - my search was over. Not only was it simple looking but I could easily see how I could tweek it low carb for me. I made both version. The cheesecake got rave reviews and my low carb version was positively wonderful. I am sharing both today :)

(so it would be just like Olive Garden, I served the cheesecake with a mound of whipped cream and drizzled with caramel sauce)

Pumpkin Cheesecake
MaryJanesFarm Magazine
(Printable Version)

Crust:
1-1/2 cups gingersnap crumbs (I used Anna's Swedish Ginger Cookies instead)
4 Tbsp butter, melted

Filling:
2 8-oz packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup half n'half
1 cup pumpkin puree
3/4 cup sugar
4 eggs, separated
3 Tbsp flour
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt

Topping:
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (my addition)

Preheat oven to 325°F. To prepare crust, combine crumbs with butter and press into bottom and 2" up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with electric mixer until soft; slowly add half n'half until mixture us smooth and fluffy. Add pumpkin puree, sugar, egg yolks, and next six ingredients; beat until smooth. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold egg whites into pumpkin mixture. Pour into prepared crust and bake until knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. In a small bowl, stir together sour cream, sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. Spread over cheesecake and bake 5 minutes longer. Remove from oven and let cook for 1/2 hour. Loosen sides of cheesecake from pan with a spatula. Cool 1/2 hour more. Remove sides of the pan and cool 2 hours longer. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Can be made 2 days in advance.

Gail's Low-Carb Version

1 8-oz package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup Truvia sweetener (you could use Splenda)
2 eggs, separated
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

Follow directions above for mixing - divide mixture evenly between 5 1-cup ramekins. Bake according to above. Allow to cool completely before refrigerating. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream sweetened with Truvia. Each ramekin is approximately 6 net grams of carbs and so VERY wonderful!

Posting to Michael's Foodie Friday and Kim's Sweet Indulgences Sunday!

12 comments:

  1. Marilyn said...:

    Great Thanksgiving here too..... Cheesecake looks wonderful!!
    Have a Great Weekend!!
    Marilyn

  1. Patty Sumner said...:

    Happy Belated Thanksgiving and thanks for the recipe...love cheesecake....Blessings!

  1. Tanya@takesix said...:

    Your cheesecake looks so good. Bravo to you for being such a good girl. That is awesome to loose weight over a holiday. It must be cheesecake week. We just posted a "Cranberry Cheesecake" today at Take Six!

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Gail! My magazine is sitting on my end table along with a stack of others, waiting for me to get a spare minute to read! LOL

    Hugs,
    Pam

  1. Totally forgot...congrats on the weight loss! You go, girl!

    Hugs again,
    Pam

  1. Ruby Jean said...:

    That Cheesecake looks so DELICIOUS!!! I am a HUGE cheesecake fan and pumpkin fan... so this is a GREAT combination!!

  1. Happy day after T-Day Gail, congrats to you:@) The pumpkin cheesecake sounds great, I haven't made one in quite a while, gotta fix that!

  1. KB said...:

    Looks delish!

    We'd love you to share your recipes with us at

    Simply Delish Saturday

  1. Debbie said...:

    This looks delicious. Aside from a German Chocolate cheesecake, this would be the most appealing dessert to me of ALL. That's why I refuse to make it. No possible way am I bring that temptation into my house right now. I am, however, pinning it for a time when I might have the self control to take just a bite or the reason to celebrate weight loss and have an entire piece. Just one...

    Of course, if I could manage that "just one", I wouldn't have such a problem to begin with, would I?

  1. Both versions sound delicious and even better to lighten up on the carbs with so many other high carb foods on the table.

  1. Bella Vista said...:

    Gail, this looks heavenly. My husband would love this...he just adores cheesecake of any kind.

    Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

    Blessings,
    Barb

  1. Wow! That sounds delicious! I've never made a pumpkin cheesecake either. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe.

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.