Chicken Florentine Casserole & Nebraska's Dorothy Lynch Salad Dressing

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Posting the recipes from our Funky Orange Chicken Supper last week!



Chicken Florentine Casserole
(Printable Version)

4 tablespoons butter
½ cup onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
4 tablespoons flour
1 ¼ cup milk or cream or a combination
¾ cup chicken broth
Salt & pepper to taste
2 packages frozen chopped spinach
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
5 cups cooked chicken, sliced or diced
6 thin slices ham, diced
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Cook spinach according to package instructions, drain well. In a skillet, melt 4 tablespoon butter and add the onion, cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add 4tablespoon flour and blend well as you cook this for 1 minute. Add the cream and chicken stock; bring to a boil and cook a few minutes until thickened, stirring constantly. Divide this sauce into two bowls. Add spinach and thyme to one half and add the ham to the other half. Place the spinach mixture into the bottom of a lightly buttered 2-quart casserole or baking dish. Cover with cooked chicken slices. Pour the sauce with the ham over chicken. Cover with grated Parmesan cheese. Bake at 400°F for 20-30 minutes, or until cheese is browned and casserole is bubbling. Serves 6.



This recipe has an interesting local history. St. Paul NE isn't far from us and is a pretty small town!

Nebraska's Dorothy Lynch Salad Dressing
(Printable Version)

3/4 cup to 1 cup sugar
3/4 cup to 1 cup oil (I use light olive oil)
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
1/2 cup vinegar (I use cider vinegar)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Place all ingredients except oil in blender cup. Blend, drizzling oil into mixture slowly until emulsified. Chill well. Makes 1 quart.

(In the late 1940s, Dorothy Lynch and her husband ran the restaurant at the local Legion Club in St. Paul, Nebraska. This is where the original recipe for Dorothy Lynch Home Style Dressing was born. As the Legion Club members were introduced to this delicious recipe the legend of Dorothy Lynch began to grow and the dressing fast became a "must-have" favorite. Stories of local people bringing their own bottle or jug to town to have it filled with "that delicious Dorothy Lynch salad dressing" were quite common. In 1964, Tasty-Toppings, Inc. purchased the recipe and rights to Dorothy Lynch and built a production facility in Columbus, Nebraska. The company later expanded its production capacity with a modern 64,000 square foot plant in Duncan, Nebraska. This is where every bottle of Dorothy Lynch Home Style is produced today.)

Posting to Michael Lee's Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!

21 comments:

  1. Your chicken recipe is going on my menu for next week. Yummy! I know this will be a crowd pleaser.
    Dorothy Lynch's dressing reminds me of french. I think this whole meal will be a menu for me!
    No wonder the Gooseberry Patch loves you!
    Yvonne

  1. The Dorothy Lynch salad dressing sounds really yummy! I enjoy making my own dressings, rather than using store bought, so I'll have to try this one.

  1. LDH said...:

    That salad dressing looks just like something I would like! Gonna copy the recipe :)

  1. With parmesan, ham, and chicken how COULD you go wrong! Gail this looks lovely. I think I have had this dressing, but have never bought it myself! Joni

  1. Katie said...:

    Yummy! The casserole sounds delicious! I will have to try the salad dressing, too. I much prefer homemade dressing to packaged dressing.

  1. Myrna said...:

    Ooohh! Yummy! Thanks for the recipe!
    And thank you for visiting my blog..I must say your blog is beautiful, warm and inviting!
    Have a lovely day!
    Blessings!
    Myrna

  1. Your chicken recipe really sounds good, I might add some noodles to call it a one dish dinner-thanks!

  1. Sue said...:

    I'm going to add this dressing to my recipe list. I enjoy casseroles- must be because I grew up w/them. Most kids today don't eat them- our son says he doesn't like his foods mixed together! LOL He even eats each group of food separately on his plate, and it better not touch another.

  1. The chicken and the salad both sound so good. I will definitely give them a try. Great this weekend when my son is here, he loves chicken and this sounds like such a great recipe.
    Thanks so much for stopping by and your sweet birthday wishes. I really appreciate it. Hugs, Marty

  1. Nancy said...:

    Hi Gail,

    I so enjoyed reading the history of the Dorothy Lynch dressing. I enjoy history and little tidbits of information about things we'd never really think of having an interesting story behind them.

    The recipe sounds great! Thanks for sharing both.

    Nancy

  1. That casserole looks delicious!!! Love the new background, too. :-)

  1. Aiming4Simple said...:

    I live in NE and have seen the dressing but never tried it. You've convinced me that I should! Thanks for stopping by today.

  1. Mimi said...:

    The casserole sound delicious. I haven't had Dorthy Lynch in years. We used to get it from our old neighbors, when ever they went home to South Dakota they would bring us a bottle. I think we put it on hamburgers.
    Mimi

  1. Brenda said...:

    Gail, thank you so much for stopping by my blog today. Your dish looks wonderful. I love anything with spinach and cheese together. Enjoy your weekend!

  1. nancycreative said...:

    The casserole and dressing sound so good! Thanks for sharing the story about the dressing!

  1. Danelle said...:

    I've seen Dorothy Lynch salad dressing at the store, but never tried it, so obviously never heard the story behind it. Thanks for sharing the story and the recipe.

  1. Pam said...:

    I love the dressing recipe!

  1. Both sound delicious. I wouldn't have thought of tomato soup in a salad dressing.

  1. BonjourRomance said...:

    Bonjour Gail,
    I just found your beautiful blog via Yvonne @ Stone Gable. She is right, this Spincah Chicken Casserole looks so delicious. I will definitely try this one very soon.
    I'm a new follower and will be back soon,
    Mimi

  1. ButterYum said...:

    Well Hi There! I clicked over from Yvonne's StoneGable blog. Your Chicken Florentine casserole sounds wonderful - I serve a lot of chicken, so I'm definitely going to give it a try soon.

    Really nice blog. Take care.

    :)
    ButterYum

  1. Danielle said...:

    My mother-in-law is from St. Paul and my husband is from Palmer. Believe it or not, Dorothy used to babysit him and his brother. We love this dressing, but can't find it outside of NE, and being in S. Korea we definitely can't get it! Thanks so much for the recipe - think I'll make it and surprise him tonight!
    Danielle

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.