More Doilies

Sunday, January 30, 2011
When I was writing my recent post on crocheted doilies and edgings I found some wonderful ideas for repurposing doilies. Some I had seen before like framing them. I LOVE this idea and am watching out for the *right* frame to try this project. I recently spoke with one of my oldest and dearest friends and she told me about having a tablecloth her grandmother crocheted framed. It measures 6-feet x 6-feet. Can you imagine? I cannot wait for her to send me a picture of that.

I also saw sachets made from doilies...very cute. The project that got my rapt attention though was using doilies to create a tablerunner. The examples I saw were stunning (you can see them here and here)....I TOLD you they were stunning! I just had to have a doily runner. Problem with that was that I didn't have enough doilies in the color I was going for to construct one. That meant no matter how much I was trying to avoid the thrifty stores, I had to go thrifty shopping!


I found a few that were going to be perfect for this project but I was concerned that I had too many differing shades of cream/beige/ecru and even a couple dirty looking white ones. My solution....tea staining. Now they are close to the same color. After tea staining and starching, the doilies were ready to assemble into a runner.

First you take the largest doilies and arrange them on the table. Fill in with smaller doilies, overlapping. Once you are sure of your placement, tack down at overlapping points by hand. The best part is if you ever decide you'd rather have individual doilies again, just snip the tacking stitching and you are set. Now to create a tablescape with this beauty!













Sharing at Mary's Masterpiece Monday, Susan's Metamorphosis Monday, Krafty Kat's Gettin Krafty With It, and Stephanie's Sunday Showcase Party.