More Doilies

Sunday, January 30, 2011
When I was writing my recent post on crocheted doilies and edgings I found some wonderful ideas for repurposing doilies. Some I had seen before like framing them. I LOVE this idea and am watching out for the *right* frame to try this project. I recently spoke with one of my oldest and dearest friends and she told me about having a tablecloth her grandmother crocheted framed. It measures 6-feet x 6-feet. Can you imagine? I cannot wait for her to send me a picture of that.

I also saw sachets made from doilies...very cute. The project that got my rapt attention though was using doilies to create a tablerunner. The examples I saw were stunning (you can see them here and here)....I TOLD you they were stunning! I just had to have a doily runner. Problem with that was that I didn't have enough doilies in the color I was going for to construct one. That meant no matter how much I was trying to avoid the thrifty stores, I had to go thrifty shopping!


I found a few that were going to be perfect for this project but I was concerned that I had too many differing shades of cream/beige/ecru and even a couple dirty looking white ones. My solution....tea staining. Now they are close to the same color. After tea staining and starching, the doilies were ready to assemble into a runner.

First you take the largest doilies and arrange them on the table. Fill in with smaller doilies, overlapping. Once you are sure of your placement, tack down at overlapping points by hand. The best part is if you ever decide you'd rather have individual doilies again, just snip the tacking stitching and you are set. Now to create a tablescape with this beauty!













Sharing at Mary's Masterpiece Monday, Susan's Metamorphosis Monday, Krafty Kat's Gettin Krafty With It, and Stephanie's Sunday Showcase Party.

23 comments:

  1. Denise said...:

    Before I saw the pics I thought you were putting them on a piece of dark fabric. I like what you did though. Might have to dig up some of my old doilies and try it out your way and try tacking some down on a dark piece of fabric which I think would be great for any little edgings that I might have...hmmm now to make a mess...:)

  1. great job, I just adore doilies.

  1. Turned out great Gail! Doilies are so pretty and I love the idea of making a runner out of them:@)

  1. Bizenurse said...:

    What a wonderful idea! And yours turned out so well. Could you explain tea staining? I would love to try it.

  1. Dianna said...:

    Those doilies worked up very nicely into a table runner...and it looks GREAT on your beautiful table!

  1. bj said...:

    Well, who would have thought to use beautiful doilies for a runner. It is just perfect...I love it. You did a great job on it.

  1. Dreamgoddess said...:

    What a great idea! I love how it looks on your table.

  1. Patty Sumner said...:

    What a wonderful idea! I am going to have to do this....I love it! Blessings!

  1. It is beautiful! Aren't you proud of it? It is almost like snowflakes, each one would be different. I love it.

  1. Emelia DiCarlo said...:

    So pretty and I love your idea. I have a collection too and thanks for the inspiration.

  1. Mary said...:

    Your table runner is beautiful! Good idea too to tea stain them. Thank you for linking this to Masterpiece Monday, have a great week! Mary :O)

  1. This is beautiful. I have quite a stash of doilies and I was going to frame some. I will have to start playing with them to make a runner too!!!~~Sherry~~

  1. Faith said...:

    I thought you were framing them, I was quite surprised..how pretty, and it looks fabulous on your table...as a runner...great thought!
    Stop over and do the Monday Meme....What is it you enjoy, what is your simple abundance...it is easy and simple....

  1. Shelia said...:

    I love this idea! You did good!
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

  1. Good Morning Gail, Girl I'm lovin this idea..Ok now I need to make me one how fun and cool is this..Thanks..Hugs and smiles Gloria

  1. Dani said...:

    great idea, I have so many..some inherited and some collected...this would be a wonderful way to display them....

  1. Pam said...:

    That is one amazing idea! Love it. I have a big box of doilies that I haven't displayed in a few years. I'm going to try this. And if I don't like it I can take it apart. I'm so excited!!!

  1. Marlis said...:

    I love this idea.. omg.. what a wonderful way to use all the treasures we have. Tip on framing anything delicate or priceless, don't let the glass touch it. Now if it's an heirloom, also suggest you use UV protectant glass.

  1. I used to crochet those doilies before I married! I love them :)

    Btw, do you want to gain more blog followers? Then come on and join my "Swap Followings" Linky Party. This is an excellent opportunity for every blogger to meet other bloggers, follow them, and be followed in return. How does this work? Just simply "swap your following" which goes like this, "I follow your blog so please follow mine." All you have to do is create a post about the party, include the party button, follow 2 or more bloggers then leave them comments so they can follow you back.

    Come join us now at http://www.homemakeronadime.com/2011/01/swap-followings-linky-party-013111.html

    Bring your best virtual smile, be prepared to meet great bloggers, and see you there! :)

  1. Krafty Kat said...:

    Looks great!!! I love doilies and that was so smart to tea-stain them to match! Thanks for linking up to Gettin' Krafty With It!

  1. I love it. What a great idea to use up all those odd doilies we all have and actually display them. Stay safe and warm from the blizzard.

  1. Anita said...:

    Gail, what a great idea!! Never would I have thought of that! I only have a few that my grandmother made. I do have a shamrock pattern runner I want to use but I need to starch it in liquid starch first. I really want to make more aprons. I did not have one!

  1. Grannys Attic said...:

    That is just beautiful! Great job and the tea stain idea is a great idea. I got a lot of doilies at the Thrift Store this past Friday and framed one today. Come over and visit and see what you think. Blessings, Vicky

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.