GBP Quick & Easy Autumn Review 4 of 6

Thursday, April 7, 2011



Day 4 ~ Mains

It was difficult picking from all the wonderful recipes for mains in this book BUT I knew I wanted to use my Grandma's cast iron skillet and include the recipe in my Cast Iron Cooking segment -- Skillet Chicken & Mushrooms submitted by Tina Wright of Atlanta, GA fit that bill perfectly. This recipe was perfect to make for a quick and easy weeknight supper -- I have to admit to a modification in the original recipe -- instead of using Tarragon, I used Thyme. I just don't usually care for the flavor of Tarragon. This was very yummy and I will be making it again!


Skillet Chicken & Mushrooms

1-1/2lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper to taste
3 T. butter, divided
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 lbs sliced mushrooms
½ c Madeira wine or chicken broth
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 T. fresh tarragon, chopped

Sprinkle chicken generously with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 Tbsp butter. Cook chicken until golden on both sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate. Melt remaining butter in skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté just until softened, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; sauté until juices are released, about 5 minutes. Stir in wine or broth and Worcestershire sauce. Return chicken and any juices from the plate to the pan. Spoon mushroom mixture over chicken. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until chicken juices run clear, about 20 minutes. Stir in tarragon and additional salt and pepper, as desired. Serves 4.

Follow and enter in for a chance at a copy of Gooseberry Patch's soon-to-be released book Quick & Easy Autumn and a Faithfulness Farm Apron by leaving a comment on this post -- there will be a total of 6 chances to win -- one each day this week. Leave a comment on each review post to enter. The winner will be announced on April 15!

31 comments:

  1. Tina said...:

    Hey Gail! That looks so good! I love using my grandma's cast iron! I'm definitely going to try this one! Have a blessed day!

  1. This looks delicious too! I love easy skillet dinners!

  1. sayer13 said...:

    You bet.....I would love to win a copy of Quick and Easy and a new apron.

  1. Denise said...:

    chicken and mushrooms and using a cast iron pan - I'm in! looks so yummy.

  1. I love anything with mushrooms. This looks delicious and easy! Thanks!

  1. B-Z-Quilting said...:

    Looks wonderful! I prefer thyme over tarragon also, even though I grow the tarragon in my herb garden just because. I made something similar to this recently with pork tenderloin medallions and it was very good. I will be trying this recipe one night next week!

  1. Carra said...:

    I'd love to try this one too!!
    looks so yummy.
    thanks!

  1. Picket said...:

    Ohhh my I would so love this and like you I don't like tarragon...but I love chicken and mushrooms! Ohhhh I would so love to ain that book and apron...throw my name in the pot for sure(not the chicken pot...just throw that in a plate for me! lol) Have a great weekend sweetie...Picket

  1. This sounds great too Gail! Gotta love cast iron:@)

  1. I need to get me a good cast iron skillet, it's been ages! I'd love a shot at winning!

  1. Lori said...:

    I have many sizes of cast iron skillets and use them almost every day! I too just love mushrooms, looks good.

  1. Shug said...:

    This is my kind of dish...The family loves chicken and what a great way to spice it up....Sure hoping I win!!!
    Shug

    Oh...BTW, I love that cast iron skillet that belonged to your grandma...

  1. Barbara said...:

    That sure looks good, makes my taste buds come alive looking at it, heehee be blessed

  1. Sue D said...:

    This looks delicious--I would definitely make this.

  1. Bonnie Bee said...:

    This recipe is worth the EXERCISE to lift my CAST IRON skillet.. mmmmm

  1. Bonnie Bee said...:

    AND... I am already a follower!!!

  1. FHCS said...:

    I LOVE that you picked your recipe so that you could use your grandma's skillet...too sweet. Your recipe looks delicious, I have the book too so don't enter me but I had to comment anyway! Take care, Dee

  1. Nancy D. said...:

    Love my cast iron, but not mushrooms!

  1. Deb said...:

    I just left a comment but I think Blogger ate it, so I'll comment again just in case.

    I need some new chicken recipes, and this one sounds good! Thanks for sharing.

  1. cottageprims said...:

    I love our old cast iron.Thanks for a easy recipe.Warm Blessings!~Amy

  1. StillyBee said...:

    All I can say is yummdedummmmmlicious!! Cast iron, chicken and a apron equals homespun memorys!

  1. Kay said...:

    Not a fan of mushrooms but this looks interesting. May have to try it.

  1. Valarie said...:

    My cast iron skillets are my go to kitchen utensils. I love, love, love them! I am always looking for new chicken recipes - thanks for posting. I'm so glad I found you....

  1. Sharylin said...:

    Tasty recipes with few ingredients make weeknight dinners a breeze, I'll try this one next week!

  1. Farmchick said...:

    I have not used my cast iron in awhile. This looks delish!

  1. rosalind said...:

    I love using cast iron...and this definitely looks delicious - looks like a new chicken dish on the horizon =)

  1. LyndaLoo said...:

    Looks like I almost missed one! LOL Chicken & mushrooms .......my favorites! I'll have to buy this GP if I don't win.

    Lynda

  1. OhPioneer1806 said...:

    We are having this for dinner this week, it looks awesome.

  1. I just love onions, mushrooms, and chicken. :) It is rainy and cool here in the Ozarks today. I am making this scrumptious dish tonight. I will have to post a photo and link the recipe to you, too. This has to be my favorite recipe of all the posts. :) I think its because I love mushrooms so much. Thanks for reviewing this delicous dish.

    Mrs. T.
    Acorn Hollow

  1. Lee Family said...:

    Love Gooseberry Patch. I'm a first time visitor, and I'm signing up for all 6 opportunities. My husband and I have seven daughters who all love to cook! Blessings:) P.S. Sons like to cook as well, but they prefer eating!!

  1. Kathleen said...:

    Looks like a wonderful meal!

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.