GPB Quick & Easy Autumn Review 3 of 6

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 3 ~ Soups, Sides & Salads

As we work our way through Gooseberry Patch's soon to be released Quick & Easy Autumn, our next chapter is Soups, Sides and Salads. This was a hard chapter for me to chose from. I love soups and they are always on the menu in the colder months but since it is actually spring, I decided on a salad recipe to try. The recipe that got my attention was Pear Harvest Salad submitted by Lori Ritchey from Narvon, PA. I love fruits and nuts in more savory dishes and since I know what a wonderful combo pears and blue cheese are, I knew this recipe was going to be a HIT -- no disappointments!! Pears are very over shadowed by the abundance of apples in fall but they are also perfect for autumnal desserts and salads.

Pear Harvest Salad

8-oz pkg mixed salad greens (I used romaine lettuce)
15-oz can pear halves, drained and 1/3 c juice reserved
1/2 c chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted (I went with the walnuts)
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
2/3 c blue cheese salad dressing (if you are not a blue cheese fan, I think Ranch would make a great substitute)

Place salad greens in a large salad bowl. Top with pear halves, nuts and onion. Stir in reserved pear juice into salad dressing; drizzle over salad. Serve immediately. Serves 6 to 8

Don't forget to leave a comment (and follow if you don't already) for your chance to win this book before it is even released AND a Faithfulness Farm apron. The winner to be announced on April 15th!!

Tomorrow's review will be from the chapter--Mains!

29 comments:

  1. LyndaLoo said...:

    Yum! In a salad mood these days and with canned pears this will work. I love that you are sharing your finds with us.

    :Lynda

  1. I love pears in almost anything. This sounds really delicious, I am going to try it. Thanks, Gail!

    XO,
    Jane

  1. cottageprims said...:

    Sounds wonderful for a light side for chicken cordon bleu.Thanks for sharing.Warm Blessings!~Amy

  1. This salad looks great Gail! I agree, pears do get overshadowed but find that you can do anything with them that you can do with apples! Pretty pic:@)

  1. Gail,

    I love the combination of pear and blue cheese and use it frequently. Cookbook looks wonderful.

    Carol

  1. Sue D said...:

    Sounds delicious--I would use the ranch dressing.

  1. Gail, Your salad looks lucious! The mix salad greens, fruit, nuts and delicious dressing is a real winner. I LOVE to eat a salad like this for lunch. It's my very favorite!
    Thanks for this great and easy recipe.
    I can't wait till this new Gooseberry cookbook is released. It will be on my bookshelf, for sure.
    Hope you are having a blessed spring!
    xo Yvonne

  1. Lori said...:

    Such a pretty photo! I have never tried fruit in my salad but I need to. Looks good!

  1. Barbara said...:

    That sounds really good, thanks for sharing, hugs Barbara

  1. I love pears. I craved them when I was pregnant with my first son. He loves them, too! I love salads, too. This would be a great salad alongside grilled steaks or chicken and crusty bread. Thanks for another great recipe!!

    Mrs. T.
    Acorn Hollow

  1. Olive Cooper said...:

    I also love pears and when you add the other ingredients this is a very good recipe. ♥O

  1. Nancy D. said...:

    Yum! Another one I need to try.

  1. Patty Sumner said...:

    That looks light, yummy and delightful...Blessings!

  1. Tina said...:

    Yum! Looks great! I'm not a blue cheese or ranch dressing fan..but I'm sure I could find something to put on it, or just eat it plain!

  1. This looks so good. I love the combination of pears and nuts. Yum!

  1. Carra said...:

    With little ones in our home were not much for salads, but boy this one looks so yummy. I'm going to have to try it at our next ladies lunchen at church!
    Thanks!

  1. Deb said...:

    Love the idea of a pear salad.

  1. Abi's Blog said...:

    Ummm, that looks good - I think a sweet onion dressing or a blueberry poppyseed dressing would be really good. I've had a blueberry dressing at the Marketplace in Conway AR - wish I had a recipe for that. :)
    Blessings,
    Ava

  1. Kay said...:

    This looks interesting... will have to consider trying this.

  1. Valarie said...:

    Pears and bleu cheese - a favorite combo of mine. I'm making this tonight!

  1. Sharylin said...:

    My husband would eat Caesar salad every night, but I love trying new salad combinations and this one will be a hit because of the blue cheese dressing

  1. Farmchick said...:

    I love bleu cheese...and fruit!

  1. rosalind said...:

    Mmmmmmmm sounds delish - and I agree, pears always seem to be over-shadowed by the apples but are oh so good!

  1. Mary said...:

    That looks so good! I love pears. My husband makes a honey mustard dressing that would so good with that. I will have to give it a try.

  1. OhPioneer1806 said...:

    This looks delicious. I can't wait to try this.

  1. Lee Family said...:

    We love salads and we can lots of pears every year. Thanks!

  1. Kathleen said...:

    This is one of my favorite salads!

  1. Rita May said...:

    I remember making this in home ec. Never thought I would like the combo, but it was great! I've served this at Christmas because it's pretty.

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.