Radish Revolution

Thursday, July 28, 2011
Am I the very last person on the face of earth to know that radishes, sweet creamery butter (unsalted) and sea salt is the GREATEST food combo there is?
Sadly, radishes have a history of languishing in my house. I have great intentions when I plant them (or buy them), but they have gone underused.
THAT was then........this is NOW!!!
In case you're concerned that I am eating too much butter (is there really such a thing -- said in my best Paula Deen accent, lol), I just had my cholesterol checked as part of my annual physical and since my number is under 150 (well, just under, total cholesterol was 148 -- pretty good for this low-carb eating old gal), I'll indulge in this sinful snack occasionally without guilt -- besides, the health benefits from radishes include cholesterol reduction (doesn't that counter the butter, lol), stablizing blood pressure, support of liver and digestive health and cancer prevention -- YAY RADISHES (with sweet creamery butter and sea salt, lol)!


12 comments:

  1. Mitzi said...:

    I love radish sandwiches. Radish,salt, butter and a good bread. Yum.

  1. My German family always ate lots of radishes, a true staple of the relish tray Gail! Always added salt, haven't heard about trying them with butter. They look so pretty:@)

  1. Yay!! I say eat more radishes.

  1. Olive Cooper said...:

    My Joe eats them for lunch like they were candy! We use sea salt so I will tell him to mix the two!

  1. Gert said...:

    My..these look so yummy!!! You've made them so appetizing...and pretty...yum! They are beautiful...did they all get eaten up?? Bet they did!

    Blessings...
    xoxo Gert

  1. I've never seen them done like that, but I have seen radish sandwiches...butter, salt and thin sliced on white bread. This year I roasted radishes for the first time. I drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled some salt and roasted until they caramelized a bit. They were really good.

  1. acorn hollow said...:

    they look yummy I have never heard of them like this. I love to just crunch right into them.
    Cathy

  1. that looks delish, never would have thought of that combination of flavors! I was just chiding myself for letting some radishes get old and limp in my fridge so next time Ill give this a try before they do!

  1. Debbie said...:

    Confession.
    I haven't tried a radish since I was a little girl. I need to give them a try.

  1. I love radishes, but I can only eat so many. This simple and pretty treat looks yummy! Now I'll need to plant some radishes.

  1. Kathleen said...:

    That a great idea! I underuse them too!

  1. Gail, I love this post!

    Growing up, my family (mix of Irish/French/Czech) would have radishes either served plain, dipped in salt, served with butter (and yours look particularly beautiful!), or dressed with a vinaigrette. I still love them to this day, and love to grow them ~ such an easy thing to do!

    Have I told you recently that I love your blog?? It's always so nice to come visit you and feel your hospitality and creativity. xo

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.