The Herb Garden ~ OREGANO & Greek Salad

Thursday, July 14, 2011

My oregano us going nuts!! That means ONE thing -- Greek salad for lunch (and supper, lol). This salad simply tastes like summer!!


Greek Salad
(Printable Version)
Dressing:
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
2-3 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1 large clove garlic (or 2 small)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper

Salad:
2-3 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
1-2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 large cucumber, deseeded and chopped
1/4 red onion, sliced
1/2 to 3/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives
crumbled Feta cheese
half lemon (to squeeze on top of salad)
Additional chopped oregano(optional)


In a mason jar combine the red wine vinegar, olive oil, oregano, salt, sugar, and black pepper. Place lid on and shake. Set aside. Store in refrigerator for up to a week. Assemble salad with Romaine, cucumber, red onion, crumbled feta, and Kalamata olives. Squeeze half of a lemon over the salad. Add dressing to taste. Toss and serve immediately. Serve as a side salad or topped grilled chicken as a main course.



14 comments:

  1. Mine is doing good too, a little crazy but happy!

  1. Oh yum I am on my way over right now.

  1. looks yummy and refreshing for these hot day!

  1. My sister loves to make greek salad. Your oregano look very happy growing in the NE sunshine!

  1. Debbie said...:

    That looks absolutely DELICIOUS! Greek salad is one of my favorites. It's actually a full family favorite.

  1. cindy said...:

    I have to make this salad. It looks scrumptious.

    —cindy

  1. Shug said...:

    This is a beautiful presentation of some good looking greens...sounds delicious!!

    I can already taste the flavor!!
    Hugs to ya
    shug

  1. acorn hollow said...:

    Oh it looks wonderful! mmmm. I made pesto from the garden tonight on grilled chicken. I love summer foods.
    Cathy

  1. Patty Sumner said...:

    Wow, that looks very refreshing and yummy! I want one..Thanks for sharing! Blessings!

  1. Oh man! You started me salivating all over my computer. If I'm not able to blog I'll have to blame your salad pictures and recipe! LOL

    Thanks for always having such delicious recipes, gorgeous photos, and sweet hymns.

  1. Yum! this looks so good right now and I sure wish my dinner was being served up right out of this blog!Thank you for posting so many wonderful recipes and I know I've said this before but thanks for all the work you put into this blog, it is wonderful!
    Blessings,
    Terry

  1. Your herb plant is gorgeous!! It's really growing, too. I love Kalamata olives or any olive for that matter! Loved your post, as always ;). I simply love your entire blog!!!

    aprons & Old lace

  1. Cathy said...:

    I love this salad with lots of chopped fresh oregano. You make it just the way we love it, Gail. The red onion really kicks it up a notice as Emeril would say. Hope you have a great weekend.

  1. Oh Gail, this looks SO good . . .

    i think you and i have been on the same wave-length recently ~ i just made a Greek-style salad a couple of days ago. I LOVE the way yours looks (and i'm SURE tastes, as well.) I love summer!

    It is always such a pleasure to come visit you here. Thank you for all that you share. Blessings to you and your beautiful family. xo

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.