Low-Carb Living ~ Vanilla Ice Cream

Friday, July 6, 2012


I scream,
You scream,
WE ALL scream for ICE CREAM!!
Even us low-carb and sugar-free eaters!!

This recipe is inspired by a recipe posted by Cathy at Wives with Knives. Cathy is a superb cook, Farmer's Market vendor and fabulous blogger. You SHOULD be following her :)

When I saw her version, I was pretty sure I could de-carb it -- and I did. I served this ice cream as a treat at #2 daughter's birthday supper - very yummy. I had mine with sugar-free chocolate syrup Y-U-M-M-O!!

Low-Carb, Sugar-free Vanilla Ice Cream (Just, or at least Sorta Like DQ’s)
(Printable Version)

1 envelope Knox gelatin
1/4 c cold water
2 c unsweetened almond milk
1 c splenda
1 Tbsp real vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1-1/2 c heavy cream

Soak gelatin in cold water. Heat almond milk, but do not boil. Remove from heat and add gelatin, splenda, vanilla and salt. Cool and add cream. Chill 5 to 8 hours. Pour into ice cream freezer can. Process according to manufacturer’s directions. Scoop into a freezer storage container, cover well and freeze several hours or overnight. Makes 8 - 1/2 cup servings. 4.5 net carbs per serving.

The next flavor of ice cream I want to try to make is COFFEE -- my favorite :)

Posting this to Honey's Potpourri Friday AND Michael's Foodie Friday AND The Tablescaper's Seasonal Sunday!


14 comments:

  1. Debbie said...:

    Pinning!! Thank you!!

  1. Cathy said...:

    Hi Gail - Thanks so much for the very kind words. I'm intrigued by your low carb version and am going to try it next time. I have never used splenda in a recipe and curious about it. What a great way to save calories. Have a great weekend. Many thanks for the link.

  1. Great low carb version. I was intrigued by Cathy's recipe with the gelatin too.

  1. So cool that you made it work for you Gail! And yep, I have my spoon ready for coffee ice cream:@)

  1. enjoyed the recipe and your blog. My daughter lost 53 pounds so far with low carb eating. I am going to tell her about your post.

  1. Anita said...:

    NO!!!!! Oh Gail, you are my hero!! We are doing so well living low carb and I have been getting Breyers Carb Smart Ice Cream. This looks delicious and so much healthier!!! I'm wondering if I can substitute Stevia for the Splenda?

  1. Carol said...:

    Ok. I'm going to check out Cathy's blog now, but I've got to tell you, the ice cream looks wonderful!

  1. Perfect for summer. Would love to have you join Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

  1. I just started this low carb thing 4 weeks ago. So far I've lost 13lbs. This sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing. I'm a new follower.

  1. Great to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

  1. Sherry said...:

    Looks delicious and healthy!
    Sherry

  1. Sherry said...:

    I think Google is kicking me off of peoples blogs! I swore I was following you! I am now.:)
    Sherry

  1. Gail, I have my eyes peeled for the coffee ice cream recipe! The vanilla sounds wonderful.

  1. kitty said...:

    Yum, Gail!! I saw this on Cathy's blog and I like how you made it sugar free. I've been wanting to try the recipe and am so glad to know you tried it out.

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.