Low-Carb Living ~ Zesty Lime Shrimp & Avocado Salad

Friday, July 20, 2012

It is HOT here in Nebraska -- I know most of you are dealing with the same hot and dry weather. Salads have been in order here -- lots of them. I had a different recipe prepared to blog today and then we had this for supper last night -- OH. SO. GOOD. Perfect for these relentless summer days!
Zesty Lime Shrimp & Avocado Salad
(Printable Version)

1 lb medium cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined and chopped
1 medium tomato, diced
1 hass avocado, diced
1 jalapeno, seeds removed, diced fine
1/4 cup chopped red onion
Juice of 2 limes
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
sea salt and fresh pepper

In a small bowl combine red onion, lime juice, olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper. Let them marinate at least 5 minutes to mellow the flavor of the onion. In a large bowl combine chopped shrimp, avocado, tomato, jalapeƱo. Combine all the ingredients together, add cilantro and gently toss. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.

The orginal recipe says this is 4 servings -- #1 son and I ate it ALL -- 2 servings came in at 439 calories and 6.25 net carbs (stats figured at Fatsecret) -- very filling and DELICIOUS!! I will be making this again and again as we serve out the dog days of summer.
When I use a recipe that I have gleened from the interenet, I always try to give the original poster credit -- well, this recipe is all over the net and I am not sure it's origins except that I kept seeing that it is a Weight Watchers recipe -- if that is so, THANK-YOU Weight Watchers for a GREAT LOW CARB recipe :)

Sharing at Michael's Foodie Friday, Honey's Potpourri Friday and Sall's Farm Fresh Friday!

13 comments:

  1. Olive Cooper said...:

    #1 son ate it all. That it too cute and tells us how good it is. Have a terrific weekend Gail!

  1. Yum! I will try this one for sure!! It's like eating guacamole (which I love), but in bigger chunks, and with shrimp added in.

  1. Gypsy Heart said...:

    Oh my, everything I love! I'm really working on low-carb so thanks a million for sharing this. I can't wait to try it.

    xo
    Pat

  1. I love this pic it coordinates so well with the stripes on the tea towel. I'm still rolling along with lo carb. Have a great weekend! Jean

  1. mary_smith said...:

    That's a great recipe. Brand new follower. Thanks for stopping by Back to the Basics!

  1. Yum, this looks delicious and healthy too yet!! I'm putting avocados on my shopping list - what a great meal to beat the heat! Thanks for sharing at Farm Fresh Friday - stay cool!!

  1. Candy C. said...:

    That is soooo yummy looking, perfect for summer! I'm printing it out now! Thanks! :)

  1. kitty said...:

    Mmmmmm I made a shrimp and avocado salad one time and loved it. This one looks so good and thank you for posting the calories and carbs. I'll be trying this one out soon.

  1. Gail thank you so much for visiting. Yum! This sounds and looks absolutely delicious! I am adjusting my eating "lifestyle" and this is something that would certainly work. xo HHL

  1. Farmgirl Cyn said...:

    Hi, Gail! This sounds perfect for these hot summer evenings when you do not want to be cooking in the kitchen! And with avocado and shrimp...you cannot go wrong!
    I did Atkins diet years ago, and lost a lot of weight...about 40#...but never felt good. I am hoping to lower my carbs substantially by doing the GF/SF, but not go so low I feel crappy. My potassium got so low on Atkins, I thought I was dying!
    The whole point of the GF/SF is to get rid of some candida I have had for over 23 years...hope and pray this works!

  1. This looks really good Gail. Cilantro and lime yummmm..
    ~betty

  1. Debbie said...:

    Clearly, I needed to get out of Siberia and get into blog land. I have missed not one but TWO pinners from here. I am going to try the eggs and this one as well. My husband will just die for these. I just know it.

  1. Cathy said...:

    Hi Gail - I know I can count on you to have delicious recipes that are healthy as well. You combined lots of my favorite flavors in this salad, perfect for hot summer evenings.

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.